+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

got pr through fsw express entry. landed in toronto. can i move to montreal ?

ajit90

Star Member
Sep 4, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-04-2015
AOR Received.
29-05-2015
Med's Done....
passed -10.06.2015
Hi ,
I got my pr through express entry (FSW-outside)

I did a short landing in feb and now came back to my home country.
My employer in home country has a project based out of montreal

Is it possible for me to move there with my Pr visa once i get my Pr card ?
I heard there are some restricitions for people through fsw to settle in Quebec and they should separtely apply if they intend to stay and settle there.

@asivad and others. request you to please help me on this

Doda

May 20, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Constitutional, you have the right, but you won't be able to settle in Quebec without a CSQ. That means no governmenal benefits, especially health insurance until you obtain a CSQ. The funny thing is that is easy to obtain one once you have PR, but I don't know how long would it take to obtain one.

MooseNBooze

Nov 6, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2016
Doc's Request.
22-01-2016
AOR Received.
20-01-2016
Med's Done....
22-01-2016
Passport Req..
22-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
03-05-2016
LANDED..........
25-12-2016
Doda said:
Constitutional, you have the right, but you won't be able to settle in Quebec without a CSQ. That means no governmenal benefits, especially health insurance until you obtain a CSQ. The funny thing is that is easy to obtain one once you have PR, but I don't know how long would it take to obtain one.
I'm surprised that those with PR need to obtain a CSQ. Are you sure? I thought CSQ is for those on temporary visas (basically a form of PNP for temporary residents of Quebec). I'm not an expert on Quebec's eccentric ways, by any means, but per their official website, PR can get health insurance and other benefits etc. without requiring CSQ -

http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/immigrate-settle/students/stay-quebec/permanent-residence/changes-status.html
http://www.ramq.gouv.qc.ca/en/immigrants-foreign-workers-students/health-insurance/Pages/eligibility.aspx

I think OP can settle in Quebec without any issues, or anywhere else in Canada for that matter. I invite others with more knowledge to correct me if I'm wrong.

ppahuja

Apr 29, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ajit90 said:
Hi ,
I got my pr through express entry (FSW-outside)

I did a short landing in feb and now came back to my home country.
My employer in home country has a project based out of montreal

Is it possible for me to move there with my Pr visa once i get my Pr card ?
I heard there are some restricitions for people through fsw to settle in Quebec and they should separtely apply if they intend to stay and settle there.

@asivad and others. request you to please help me on this
Sorry to say, but as per CIC/IRCC guidelines for Express Entry program, you cannot stay in Quebec as it is governed by separate immigration program.

Please refer Other Requirements section here:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who.asp

it clearly states: You must plan to live outside the province of Quebec

luvanuj

Jul 14, 2011
Toronto
You can stay anywhere you want in Canada. There are no restrictions on it. When you apply for PR it asks you for your intentions to stay in a province. That does not mean you cant stay in other province.

If you are getting a job definitely move to Montreal.

bhavcaluk

Aug 7, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Once you have PR card you can live anywhere in Canada as per constitution of Canada.The CSQ is provincial nomination after which one gets a PR card.
There are no resrictions on your settlement in Quebec .

ppahuja

Apr 29, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bhavcaluk said:
Once you have PR card you can live anywhere in Canada as per constitution of Canada.The CSQ is provincial nomination after which one gets a PR card.
There are no resrictions on your settlement in Quebec .
Apologies for my limited information on this subject. Can you please confirm then why IRCC has stated this for EE FSW program:
You must plan to live outside the province of Quebec

Link in my previous post. #JustWondering

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ppahuja said:
Apologies for my limited information on this subject. Can you please confirm then why IRCC has stated this for EE FSW program:
You must plan to live outside the province of Quebec

Link in my previous post. #JustWondering
Just that. Quebec cannot keep PRs or citizens from coming in to live and work. But they can (and do) insist that if you're planning to immigrate to Quebec, you go through their program not the federal EE program.

If you're an EE PR, you're fine as long as you don't attempt 'landing' anywhere in Quebec. Once you're a landed PR, you are free to live and work (or not) anywhere in Canada (and that includes Quebec).

Apr 25, 2017
I have a doubt after trying for 2 months if I do not get a job in Ontario can I move to Montreal if I get a job. and there will not be any issues.