+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Got PPR, submitted passport and after that got a renewed passport

AbuAmin

Mar 31, 2024
Hello everyone, I got a PPR and submitted my old passport that was still valid till end of the year within the 30 days deadline. However, 2 weeks after that, I got a new passport as I had applied before the PPR came but I couldn't wait since it wasn't clear when it will be ready.

Now I am worried. Is there going to be an issue since I have a new one but already submitted the old one?

I saw online that when a new passport is issued, the old one is "cancelled", does that mean IRCC will not be able to validate my identity before they stamp??

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I saw online that when a new passport is issued, the old one is "cancelled", does that mean IRCC will not be able to validate my identity before they stamp??
This depends on the country that issued the passport, not Canada. If your old passport will remain valid, there's no issue.

After you land in Canada and get a PR card, the PR card/PR status is not 'linked' in any meaningful way to your passport, old or new. (It is likely/almost certain that IRCC includes old passport details in the database records that IRCC and CBSA use - but that's only for their ease of use/ease of identifying you, basically. You won't need to do anything to 'update' it when you switch to using your new passport - CBSA will make a note of it at some point in future when you cross the border using the new passport/PR card. You can make it a bit easier for them and possibly yourself if you carry a photocopy of the old passport the first time or two you re-enter Canada.)

Now, if the country that issued the passport cancels the old one when you get the new one - the answer should be pretty obvious, you'll have to get IRCC to re-issue the immigration visa in your new passport. You'll have to contact IRCC and/or resubmit through the VFS office.

[Can you do it now while IRCC/the embassy/vfs have your old passport? Probably. You'll have to figure that out yourself.]

AbuAmin

Mar 31, 2024
Thank you @armoured , my old passport that was submitted doesn't expire till October later this year. I was just worried about there being a new one with me that came out after I had already submitted within the deadline due to being unable to predict if/when i will get the newly issued one on time.

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
Hello everyone, I got a PPR and submitted my old passport that was still valid till end of the year within the 30 days deadline. However, 2 weeks after that, I got a new passport as I had applied before the PPR came but I couldn't wait since it wasn't clear when it will be ready.

Now I am worried. Is there going to be an issue since I have a new one but already submitted the old one?

Your old passport should be still valid. Make sure you travel with both passport when coming to Canada. Most countries cancel old passport before issuing new passport however in your case it’s not like that. You have both valid passport.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you @armoured , my old passport that was submitted doesn't expire till October later this year. I was just worried about there being a new one with me that came out after I had already submitted within the deadline due to being unable to predict if/when i will get the newly issued one on time.
Note that it's not a question of whether your old passport expires but whether the country of issuance cancels it. Canada, for example, usually* cancels old passports when issuing a new one (they either keep it or cut off a corner and/or stamp CANCELLED somewhere important). This would be in addition to marking the old one (by number/date) in their databases as cancelled (I believe the airlines either use this database or query it for the board/no board decision), and many other countries have similar systems - point being that hopefully you would be told it's been cancelled and/or they'd physically cancel the passport, but the database matters too.

If they don't cancel it and it still has validity days left on it, no problem. Take both passports with you.

*I say 'usually', I'm sure there are exceptions but let's leave that issue aside.

Reactions: YVR123

AbuAmin

Mar 31, 2024
Thank you so much @armoured and @Miss bee , It's now very clear to me. My issuing country didn't "cancel" or punch a hole in my old passport when I went to renew. So I guess it's valid until the expiry this October.

I have one more enquiry.

Obviously I renewed my passport when I realised I was getting close to the more than 6 months validity requirements

Unfortunately, the PPR expiry date was already closing in and I didn't get the new one on time and I didn't get a response to extend.

When I submitted the old passport, I still had about 7.5 months validity left, and I know the VO in my region (West Africa), will take at least 2 months to stamp and return (it's a given). And by that time, it will be less than 6 months left on that old passport that was submitted.

Do you suppose this will be an issue?

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
Thank you so much @armoured and @Miss bee , It's now very clear to me. My issuing country didn't "cancel" or punch a hole in my old passport when I went to renew. So I guess it's valid until the expiry this October.

I have one more enquiry.

Obviously I renewed my passport when I realised I was getting close to the more than 6 months validity requirements

Unfortunately, the PPR expiry date was already closing in and I didn't get the new one on time and I didn't get a response to extend.

When I submitted the old passport, I still had about 7.5 months validity left, and I know the VO in my region (West Africa), will take at least 2 months to stamp and return (it's a given). And by that time, it will be less than 6 months left on that old passport that was submitted.

No , you already have new passport. I would also suggest you to send a webform to update them . Attach a copy of new passport and send them through webform to avoid any further delay or confusions.
https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

Reactions: AbuAmin

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Canada will let you in. They are quite clear that there's no minimum validity required for PRs (both new PRs and returning PRs) on their home country passports. (They may recommend having more but recommendation is not requirement). Some airlines do not understand this but generally not an issue or can be clarified with them.

So no, no issue. You could also show them new passport.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I would also suggest you to send a webform to update them . Attach a copy of new passport and send them through webform to avoid any further delay or confusions.
https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1
I would NOT recommend doing this unless you have decided to re-submit and have visa issued in the new passport, for example, if you wanted more time to travel to Canada (the visa to enter Canada will not bear a validity longer than the passport in which it is stamped).

Because if you did advise them: what possible purpose could it serve? As noted above, if the old passport is still valid, the new PR can travel on it and become a PR, and the PR card is not linked to the passport.

No, the risk is higher that if you advise them of new passport, that some eager clerk will decide that they should only put the visa in the new passport and/or cancel the visa already issued.

No. Don't do this. Pick a lane. Either go through trouble of getting it in new passport, or let them stamp it in the old one.