+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Gold Jewelry after becoming PR

Mar 3, 2020
Hi Guys,

I have a question regarding bringing gold jewelry after you become PR and travel outside Canada. I moved to Canada on temporary work permit in 2018, became PR in 2020 and now traveling on annual vacations. I intend to bring some gold jewelry from my home town. The jewelry is not new, few years old (bought even before moving to canada on my wedding). I kept it in the safety deposit in bank there but want to move it to canada now.

I want to know what rule applies to me, declaration on more than 10K CAD value or tax/duty on 800 CAD value ? Do i have to fill up B4 form or anything like that ? Will it be taxed ?

Sheeda

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Guys,

I have a question regarding bringing gold jewelry after you become PR and travel outside Canada. I moved to Canada on temporary work permit in 2018, became PR in 2020 and now traveling on annual vacations. I intend to bring some gold jewelry from my home town. The jewelry is not new, few years old (bought even before moving to canada on my wedding). I kept it in the safety deposit in bank there but want to move it to canada now.

I want to know what rule applies to me, declaration on more than 10K CAD value or tax/duty on 800 CAD value ? Do i have to fill up B4 form or anything like that ? Will it be taxed ?

Sheeda
Before you create this post, have you read my recent post in this matter?

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/urgent-how-much-gold-jewellery-can-you-bring-when-coming-back-to-canada-for-the-first-time-after-becoming-pr-citizen.805640/

You might want to bring your receipts to the customs to prove you owned them on or before you establish your Canadian residency.

Mar 3, 2020
So if i moved to Canada on a temporary work permit, got my PR while in canada and if i travel outside canada then it will still be considered a first time landing on return ? I still have doubt about it since first time landing goes through a separate process and i got a PR card even, so not sure how this works in my case.

If the above is true and If the worth of gold is less than 10K CAD, then i don't need to declare it in first place.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So if i moved to Canada on a temporary work permit, got my PR while in canada and if i travel outside canada then it will still be considered a first time landing on return ? I still have doubt about it since first time landing goes through a separate process and i got a PR card even, so not sure how this works in my case.

If the above is true and If the worth of gold is less than 10K CAD, then i don't need to declare it in first place.
But it's a gold jewelry (not just a financial instument). You will need to declare the value on any goods you bring in exceed of CAN$800. So what matter is when you become PR? If you are already PR and you are returning to Canada from outside Canada, then you are a returning Canadian resident for customs purpose, then your no declaration customs limit is $800 for 24hrs or more absence.

Mar 3, 2020
But it's a jewelry gold (not just a financial instument). You will need to declare the value on any goods you bring in exceed of CAN$800. So what matter is when you become PR? If you became PR in Canada and you are returning to Canada from outside Canada, then you are a returning Canadian resident for customs purpose, then your no declaration customs limit is $800 for 24hrs or more absence.
So if the jewelry is worth more than CAN $800 and less than CAN $ 10K, then what will happen. Do i need to pay taxes/duty on it ?
If i show the receipts of sales from the time when i bought it (before moving to canada), will the taxes/duty be exempted ?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So if the jewelry is worth more than CAN $800 and less than CAN $ 10K, then what will happen. Do i need to pay taxes/duty on it ?
If i show the receipts of sales from the time when i bought it (before moving to canada), will the taxes/duty be exempted ?
It depends on the customs officer. He or she will decide whether you pay duties or not on goods in exceed of CAN $800.

If you show the receipts, they should be exempted. To be on the safe side, I suggest you talk to a CBSA office near you and get stamped a "goods to follow" form to add your jewelry.