+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

going to be starting uni this sept...and applying for PR at the same time

Cross Border Couple

Jun 9, 2014
Hello all,
I was wondering if anybody might be able to advise me on this matter.
I will be starting a 3 year degree this september in UK (my home country)
At the same time, I will also be applying for permanent residency for canada through spouse sponsorship.
I most probably will have to transfer my credits at some point (hopefully my application will be successful)
I was wondering if and when PR is issued , will I have to move to canada straight away or could i finesh my degree in the uk first?

I have a one year exclusion so I had to make myself busy and need to get a degree but im thinking i'll have to transfer my credits eventually.
Any advise?
:eek:

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You would need to come to Canada to `Land', but could then return to the UK to finish your degree, if you really needed/wanted to do that. Transferring to a Canadian University, after you have PR, would seem to make more sense to complete your degree.

Typically, your CoPR document (that you will use to land) is valid for one year AFTER the medical exam. So, you would have anywhere from a few days, to possibly a month (or more) to come to Canada, depending upon how fast your visa processing was,...land...and then return to the UK.

You don't have to MOVE to Canada right away, but you will need to spend 730 days (2 years) out of 5 to maintain your PR.

Of course, if you've been with your spouse/partner for less than 2 years, and you receive a conditional PR (Condition 51)...that plan's out the window, because you would be required to continue living together for 2 more years.

Cross Border Couple

Jun 9, 2014
thank you for the clarification Ponga,
I think i will end up transfering my university credits after the first year (Uni year is from sept 2014 to may 2015)