+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

giving up PR card and getting petitioned as spouse by wife

deep purple

Aug 27, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
We arrived in Canada as landed immigrant in mid 2010. I was 49 years old at that time. My wife and my 2 sons stayed for good but I went back to my job in the Middle East (nice pay check) to continue working and support my family. Right after landing in Canada, tried for a couple of months to find a professional job, but can't. The job experiences abroad and an Asian engineering degree do not count. So we came to a decision that I should go back to my previous job. It was very difficult but has to be made.
I come home though to Canada twice a year(a month's stay each time) for vacation. I have no problem with the immigration and been doing this for the past 4 years. My PR card will expire next year but due to financial reasons we've decided that I should continue working with my present job and by next year voluntarily and officially give up my PR status. After my PR card is cancelled I will apply for a visit visa.
By next year my wife and 2 sons would have acquired their Canadian citizenship.
I think that she can petition me later as a spouse without encountering legal obstacles but your opinion on this will be appreciated.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is absolutely no problem for a spouse to be sponsored for PR again if they have lost it due to not meeting the residency requirements. Your wife can sponsor you if she is a citizen or even as a PR who is living in Canada and meets the residency requirements herself. However, if you are not planning on moving to Canada any time soon, it would be a waste of money to sponsor you right away. You can apply for a 10 year multiple entry visit visa which will suit your purpose just fine of coming to visit your family on a regular basis. Once you are ready to move to Canada or lets say a year or two before you think you are ready, your wife can start your sponsorship. That way you would have your new PR by the time you want to move.

deep purple

Aug 27, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks so much Leon for your much appreciated reply. That's exactly what I'm planning to do :)