+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting US visa for recently landed

Calvados

Oct 15, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello all,

My wife recently got her PR through family class and landed in March. She had a good job and has a lot of past visas and good travel history (Europe, Asia, Africa). However, she does not have any job in Canada yet. We want to apply for US Visa for her for travel and transit.

Does anyone has any experience to share: is it hard or impossible to get US visa for newly landed immigrant? I heard that unwritten rule is they are reluctant to issue visas to those with less than one year of residency, but do not know how much of this is true.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Calvados said:
Hello all,

My wife recently got her PR through family class and landed in March. She had a good job and has a lot of past visas and good travel history (Europe, Asia, Africa). However, she does not have any job in Canada yet. We want to apply for US Visa for her for travel and transit.

Does anyone has any experience to share: is it hard or impossible to get US visa for newly landed immigrant? I heard that unwritten rule is they are reluctant to issue visas to those with less than one year of residency, but do not know how much of this is true.
What u heard is pretty much right. Having a job & a few months of regular income helps. Nonetheless, u as a previously settled PR, could get it for the family... which she can use for herself - if u guys aren't going together.

Qorax

Calvados

Oct 15, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just to give an update for the benefit of others in the similar situation. Back in 2011 US consulate just returned her documents and suggested she apply in a year. Shed did and got a visa without any problem. In the mean time she got a job, we got her name on a lease and she got some banking history as well.