+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

General Asia IMM3907 - Question on Appendix A - Immigration Forms - #5 Help

garlicbread

Sep 23, 2012
Hi! I am a Canadian Citizen sponsoring my South Korean wife. We are doing an outland application. As I understand, there are three parts in the application- Part 1: Application Forms (for me- the sponsor), Part 2: Immigration Forms (for my wife- the principal applicant), and Part 3: Immigration guides (country-specific instructions to follow according to where the applicant lives).

I have a question on Part 3. Since my wife is South Korean, we have to see "General Asia IMM 3907" for country-specific instructions for her application. So I started reading IMM 3907, but there's this instruction that is confusing me. On Appendix A - under Immigration Forms, number 5, it says---
"5. Spouse/Partner Questionnaire (IMM 5490)- If your sponsor is your spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner, he or she must complete the questionnaire."

In my understanding, when it says "If your sponsor is your spouse..., he or she must complete the questionnaire", it means that I (her spouse and sponsor), must complete the questionnaire- is that correct?

But when I look at the actual form, the questions are clearly asking her (my wife- the applicant), and not me-the sponsor! Also, the instructions in the form says- "To be completed by persons living outside Canada and being sponsored as spouses, common-law partners and conjugal partners". And "Guide to Immigrating IMM 3999", says that "This form must be completed by the principal applicant who is being sponsored outside Canada as a: spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner".

Is this just a typo? Has anyone encountered this? Or am I missing/misinterpreting something? Please help! I'm really confused!

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
They can get confusing sometimes, because the forms are used to sponsor all types of family members, including parents. The IMM5490 is to be completed by your wife, not you. When in doubt, stick with the division of the forms according to the website. For the Caribbean Guide, that point actually says:

5 Spouse/Partner Questionnaire (IMM 5490) - If your sponsor is your spouse, common-law partner
or conjugal partner, complete the questionnaire.

So it may be just lost in translation!