+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Gaining citizeship

mtlny

Dec 2, 2007
I have been a PR since Oct ,2004. I am a US citizen with a Canadian wife. I have lived in Quebec since 2004. I will be returning to live in the US shortly,but would like to receive my Canadaian Ciizenship. I guess I have met the 3 years in 4 requirement,save for visits to the US. Can I Appply now then leave immediately or pretty close to go to live in The US? Our plans are to return to Canada in the future.
Also by leaving, I assume I must forfiet my PR status and re-apply again to come back to Canada?

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
mtlny said:
I have been a PR since Oct ,2004. I am a US citizen with a Canadian wife. I have lived in Quebec since 2004. I will be returning to live in the US shortly,but would like to receive my Canadaian Ciizenship. I guess I have met the 3 years in 4 requirement,save for visits to the US. Can I Appply now then leave immediately or pretty close to go to live in The US? Our plans are to return to Canada in the future.
Also by leaving, I assume I must forfiet my PR status and re-apply again to come back to Canada?
"save for visits to the U.S." - This will be a problem if it reduces you to less than 3 years in Canada. Your time is counted as days physically present in Canada (or traveling outside with your wife).

Yes, you can apply and leave as soon as you meet the 3/4 years requirement.

Your PR status will remain valid as long as you've spent 2 out of 5 of the preceding years in Canada (measured in days).

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

thaiguy said:
mtlny said:
"save for visits to the U.S." - This will be a problem if it reduces you to less than 3 years in Canada. Your time is counted as days physically present in Canada (or traveling outside with your wife).

Yes, you can apply and leave as soon as you meet the 3/4 years requirement.

Your PR status will remain valid as long as you've spent 2 out of 5 of the preceding years in Canada (measured in days).
1. A couple of corrections, time spent outside Canada traveling with a Canadian citizen spouse does NOT count towards citizenship.
2. As long as he is accompanying his Canadian citizen spouse outside Canada, he does not have to meet the 2/5 years to maintain PR status.

PMM