+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Freelance work outside my closed work-permit

pgy

Dec 2, 2013
Hi,

I am mid-application for my PR through PNP (from New Zealand), so currently on a closed work-permit. My application is in-progress and hopefully not far from approval.
I get that I am not allowed to register a business in Canada to do freelance work (until I have my PR), but is there any other work around for me rather than turning down the work? Would I be allowed to open up shop as a NZ business and continue working here on the side? Or does my closed-work permit ban any work outside my current employer, regardless of where the business is registered, and regardless of if it is a paid job or not?

Any advice is much appreciated, thanks!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
pgy said:
Hi,

I am mid-application for my PR through PNP (from New Zealand), so currently on a closed work-permit. My application is in-progress and hopefully not far from approval.
I get that I am not allowed to register a business in Canada to do freelance work (until I have my PR), but is there any other work around for me rather than turning down the work? Would I be allowed to open up shop as a NZ business and continue working here on the side? Or does my closed-work permit ban any work outside my current employer, regardless of where the business is registered, and regardless of if it is a paid job or not?

Any advice is much appreciated, thanks!
You are permitted to work for that single employer only. Anything else, paid or unpaid, that has ANY impact on the Canadian labour market is illegal work.