+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Foreign high school evaluation for uni application

Zsahar

May 8, 2017
Hi guys,

This is my first time posting on this forum, but I have browsed it many times looking for answers before getting my PR. I came to Canada as an international student and graduated from a diploma program in 2014. I worked for the next few years and got my PR a few months ago. Now I want to go to University and get a whole new degree (different field). When I first applied to the college I got my diploma from I was not asked to have an assessment of my high school grades. Now that I have a diploma and am trying to apply to a collaborative degree program from the same college that also includes York university, they are asking me to get my high school grades evaluated. I am not getting a proper confirmation that an assessment is needed from both the college and the university. Just wondering has anyone else had a similar experience? I had assumed that after having a diploma from Canada already I would not need to prove anything new in order to get accepted into a degree program and now it's a complicated process. So my questions are the following:

Have you had a similar situation?
Did you get an ICAS or WES assessment?
I have both O Level and AS Level certificates, do I need to get both evaluated? (I am guessing yes, but will they (ICAS) assess both certificates as they constitute high school together?) Also, since my degree is a collaborative do I get the evaluation for university or college?
If they decide this is not enough to cover the prerequisites for this degree, what options do I have? And can I use the same ICAS assessment to apply for the next semester if I have to get further courses done before application?

I understand that I can only get information based on your experiences and that I still need to keep checking with the college and university to get the exact requirements before applying. Any other information I might find helpful in this situation is most welcome.

Thank you,
Zeba S.