+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FBI Police Clearance

mmhyd

Jul 6, 2007
Hi,

I received letter from New york consulate to undergo medical exam for canadian immigration. I got all the documentation ready except FBI police clearance certificate. I was told by the FBI that it will take them atleast 16 weeks to process. The problem is that I have to submit all my documentation within 90 days of the recept of letter from the consulate and getting the police certificate would delay the submission. Can somebody help me how to proceed, I mean can I submit all the documents I have currently and later submit police clearance once I receive it.

Thanks,
mmhyd

Faama

Jun 7, 2007
Hi
Am in the same situation as you , all ready except for the FBI, I wrote to them (FBI) telling them i have a deadline, but I doubt if I will have the clearance by the deadline. I read somewhere in this forum that u can ask for time extension from cic...thats what am planning to do.

willostj

Star Member
Dec 20, 2006
I think you both will be fine. They told me the same 16 weeks but they accomodated my request and process my Clearance in 2 weeks. Just make sure to place your deadline on the bottom right-hand corner of the envelope. I would wait for about a month before submitting my documents. Cic will not process your case anyway without all the requested documents.

mmhyd

Jul 6, 2007
Do I need to send a separate letter to CIC requesting to extend the deadline for document submission or do I need to send all the documents that I have along with a copy of the letter for deadline extension ??

Libra

Jun 8, 2007
Hi Guys!

Willostj is right; you should not worry if you placed the deadline date on the bottom right-hand corner of the envelope.

However, I can offer you a tip, as to what I did when I found myself in the same situation you are in right now. I did what I did because in the U.S. one should always learn to be on the safe side. So, it would do you no harm if you can write to your immigration officer/consulate about the timeline that the FBI gave to you. When you do this, make a request to the consular office that you would like to have an extension with regard to the FBI clearance. Also, when you are sending in this extension request for the clearance, it would be best if you send in a certified/notarized copy of the receipt for your medical examination. That way, your immigration officer would know that you have been compliant with their request for the medical and police clearance, and that the FBI 16 week time frame is beyond your control.

It is best not to assume that your immigration officer is aware of the FBI time frame; so it is up to you to go ahead and do as I have suggested, or you can always take the risk and assume. The choice is yours.

You'll be fine, and good luck to you guys!

Warm regards,
Libra.

Libra

Jun 8, 2007
mmhyd,

Send "all" of them in, including the letter with your extension request. See my posting above also as to what other copies of documents you may send to show that you are in compliance with their request, and this also is in addition to all other documents that you now have, that they had asked for.

You may separate your documents with paper clips before putting them in one big envelope, BUT Send them all in together and not separate.

Warm regards,
Libra.