+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"Family Member Proof of Status" requested for Canadian Spouse

Bolbol13

Jul 19, 2023
Hello,

I received an ITA and I am in the process of applying. My spouse is a Canadian Citizen, so they are on the application as an unaccopanying spouse.

We selected "no" for the Canadian Citizen relative question for both me and my spouse. For some reason, one of the supporting documents on my spouses document list is "Family Member Proof of Status". I have no idea why this is being requested. It seems like some sort of bug.

Should I just include a copy of one of my spouses' family members passport?

Thank you

Chasechs

Sep 11, 2019
OK, but you need to clarify what kind of citizen is the spouse. Are they 1) born Canadian with Canadian parents? 2) Naturalized Canadian meaning they went through the PR and citizenship process? If they are option 1, then you should not have selected no because they clearly have Canadian relatives. You need to respond with their birth certificate and passport showing that they are born Canadian which makes that question not applicable.

However, if she is naturalized, you still need to explain family relationship. Remember, family relation means immediate relatives and not cousins, aunts and uncles.

Bolbol13

Jul 19, 2023
The exact question we selected no for is this:
Does <Spouse's Name> have a relative who is a citizen or permanent resident of Canada? (The relative must be 18 or older and living in Canada.)

From what I read, you only answer yes to that question when you want the extra points from having a canadian relative. Since she is already Canadian and unaccompanying. I believe the correct answer is "no".

However, she is Canadian born, the rest of her family went through the Citizenship process though (Naturalized).

I am just failing to see why this document is requested at all for her. Do you have any idea what my next steps should be? I would appreciate any advice on this matter.

Chasechs

Sep 11, 2019
By your explanation you should not have been asked for that document. You could respond saying you indicated NO on the application as you are not claiming any points for it and therefore the proof is not applicable.