+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Family member confusion

ARAZ ALI

Jan 31, 2024
Hello, I am applying for study visa, and now I am confused with this question, as: my sister is married and PR holder in canada

Family member (definition by ircc): An applicant's closest relatives, in the context of an application to IRCC. It is defined as a spouse or common-law partner, dependent children, and their dependent children.

Do you have a family member who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and is 18 years or older?

It should be yes or no?

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Hello, I am applying for study visa, and now I am confused with this question, as: my sister is married and PR holder in canada

Family member (definition by ircc): An applicant's closest relatives, in the context of an application to IRCC. It is defined as a spouse or common-law partner, dependent children, and their dependent children.

Do you have a family member who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and is 18 years or older?

It should be yes or no?
As per your definition, no

Ross88

Star Member
May 27, 2023
I'm pretty sure you have to declare the names and addresses of family members in the application anyway.

Relative is a broader term. Maybe the application asks about relatives in a different question, and maybe it doesn't.

Probably safer to answer yes unless there is another question about relative, but I'm definitely no expert.

ARAZ ALI

Jan 31, 2024
I'm pretty sure you have to declare the names and addresses of family members in the application anyway.

Relative is a broader term. Maybe the application asks about relatives in a different question, and maybe it doesn't.

Probably safer to answer yes unless there is another question about relative, but I'm definitely no expert.
As per the definition of IRCC, answer is NO,

and yes i have mentioned my sister in family form which i have submitted to ircc