+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extension of Permanemt Residency Status

ilotus

May 1, 2014
My PR card is valid up to 15.06.2015.
I had spent only 15 days in Canada after landing there.
I have a plan to go there in October 2014.
As I guess there is no problem in getting in Canada with valid PR card but I will have to leave Canada on or before 15.06.2015 because by that time my PR will not be renewed.
If I go there as per schedule and live there for continuous 2 years or more or for good , can my PR be renewed after that?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
ilotus said:
My PR card is valid up to 15.06.2015.
I had spent only 15 days in Canada after landing there.
I have a plan to go there in October 2014.
As I guess there is no problem in getting in Canada with valid PR card but I will have to leave Canada on or before 15.06.2015 because by that time my PR will not be renewed.
If I go there as per schedule and live there for continuous 2 years or more or for good , can my PR be renewed after that?
IF you can get into Canada without being reported for failing to comply with the Residency Obligation, you can remain for 730 days and then apply to renew your PR card. Note that the expiry date on your PR card is nothing to do with you meeting the RO, as they count from the date that you landed as a PR.

IF you get reported on entry for failing to meet the RO, you could end up eventually losing your PR status completely.

Like SO many others, you are confused about the PR status versus the PR card. They are not directly related. You can be a PR inside Canada and never have a PR card if you don't intend to leave the country. It's really just a travel document. When you card expires, your PR status doesn't. In fact, your PR status never expires. You can only lose it in one of four ways if I remember correctly.
1) It's revoked
2) You relinquish it
3) You become a Canadian citizen
4) You die.

ilotus

May 1, 2014
Thanks Zardoz to open my eyes on this PR and RO issues. If things are not as simple as I confusedly presumed I will have to drop my plan.
But one or two things I would like to know to enhance my knowledge.
Firstly is it mandatory to report RO on entry ? Secondly if my PR will be valid forever without my being there ,what is the use of such PR? Although these are personal and novice queries I would like to know something about them.

Matt the Aussie

Mar 27, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-07-2013
Med's Request
28-01-2014
Med's Done....
18-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
12-03-2014
LANDED..........
11-04-2014
1. No it is not mandatory that they report you. It depends on the officer, what questions they ask you, what answers you provide.

2. A Permanent Resident is expected to be permanently resident in Canada, so why would it expire? For someone who does not live in Canada, you're right, it does not make much sense to have PR. Hence why there is a Residency requirement in the first place.