+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extending stay while waiting for PR

neo-mashiro

Jul 28, 2019
Hello! I'm currently working in Canada on a PGWP but it's expiring at the end of the year (Dec 31). I also have my wife currently staying with me on a OWP, which will be expiring by the end of October.

We are in the process of preparing our PR application (my wife is accompanying me, we have no children) and anticipate being able to submit it very soon, probably in May. However, due to the unpredictable processing time, I'm not sure what to do after that.
  • For me, there seems to be a couple of different options to extend my stay in Canada. While my plan is to apply for a BOWP, some people have suggested that the employer can also obtain a closed work permit for their employees. I wonder if that's a better option.
  • As for my wife, since OWP is not renewable I don't know how to extend her stay. Does she have to leave Canada while waiting for our family PR application to be processed?
Sorry for my ignorance. I really should have done this research much earlier. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to post any links that I should read later on.