+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extend COPR validity possible?

bladepopper

Jun 14, 2016
Hi,
Some background information: I am from Taiwan, 28 years old, and exempt from a visa, so I am only constrained on the COPR date.

A few days ago I received my COPR with a validity until 2017 Nov, which is exactly 1 year after my medical exam. YAY!

This good news left me with a dilemma. I was recently offered admission to a 1.5 year Master's Program into a University in USA. I really don't want to pass up this program, but neither do I want to pass up PR for Canada.

Obviously the most ideal scenario for me to get both is to extend my COPR by 1.5 years, complete the Master's Program during this time, and enter Canada as a PR in 2019. Is it possible at all?

Here's my detailed question:
1. If I enter Canada now, the clock for 730days/5years starts immediately since the to count down right?
2. Is it possible to extend the validity for my COPR at all? I get that the valid date for the COPR is my medical exam. Will it work if I offer to redo exam 1.5 years later? If I fail my medical exam 1.5 years later, I have no problem being rejected, but I am confident that I will pass them since I don't smoke or drink at all.
3. Who do I contact for confirmation on this issue? I could not find any contact window for my application or my inquiry online or otherwise. I just hope for a phone number that I can call, since CIC has a 28days delay with any emailed questions.

Thanks guys!!

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
Canada wants you to apply with you are ready to move. You can extend copr only in unavoidable circumstances like on medical grounds.

1. yes
2. no to all questions
3. raise a CSE

What you could do is, land before the copr ends and then your clock will start. leave the country and get on with your life. give a canadian address of a friend or relative who will post the PR card to you. finish your studies, come back when there are 730 days left. leave some buffer in case you have emergencies abroad. that way you will fulfill your residency obligations to RENEW your PR. Citizenship will get delayed in this process.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
bladepopper said:
Hi,
Some background information: I am from Taiwan, 28 years old, and exempt from a visa, so I am only constrained on the COPR date.

A few days ago I received my COPR with a validity until 2017 Nov, which is exactly 1 year after my medical exam. YAY!

This good news left me with a dilemma. I was recently offered admission to a 1.5 year Master's Program into a University in USA. I really don't want to pass up this program, but neither do I want to pass up PR for Canada.

Obviously the most ideal scenario for me to get both is to extend my COPR by 1.5 years, complete the Master's Program during this time, and enter Canada as a PR in 2019. Is it possible at all?

Here's my detailed question:
1. If I enter Canada now, the clock for 730days/5years starts immediately since the to count down right?
2. Is it possible to extend the validity for my COPR at all? I get that the valid date for the COPR is my medical exam. Will it work if I offer to redo exam 1.5 years later? If I fail my medical exam 1.5 years later, I have no problem being rejected, but I am confident that I will pass them since I don't smoke or drink at all.
3. Who do I contact for confirmation on this issue? I could not find any contact window for my application or my inquiry online or otherwise. I just hope for a phone number that I can call, since CIC has a 28days delay with any emailed questions.

Thanks guys!!
The COPR cannot be extended. It's a use it or lose it policy. You either need to land before/by the expiry date or start the PR application process again from scratch once you're ready to immigrate.

bladepopper

Jun 14, 2016
Thanks for both of your replies.
xpressentry said:
Canada wants you to apply with you are ready to move. You can extend copr only in unavoidable circumstances like on medical grounds.

1. yes
2. no to all questions
3. raise a CSE

What you could do is, land before the copr ends and then your clock will start. leave the country and get on with your life. give a canadian address of a friend or relative who will post the PR card to you. finish your studies, come back when there are 730 days left. leave some buffer in case you have emergencies abroad. that way you will fulfill your residency obligations to RENEW your PR. Citizenship will get delayed in this process.
this was my "worse" case scenario. But I guess its not that bad anyway. Thanks for the reply!

scylla said:
The COPR cannot be extended. It's a use it or lose it policy. You either need to land before/by the expiry date or start the PR application process again from scratch once you're ready to immigrate.
Thanks for the reply!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
Agreed. Just do your landing and immediately take a connection flight to your USA destination so that you don't miss school. You have 2 years in a rolling 5 years period to maintain your PR status.