+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expiring PR, just arrived to Canada - with my baby.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
drnafisa said:
Our intention is to relocate and the immigration officer assessing my sponsorship eligibility needs to be convinced about that and also acknowledge that during the sponsorship application in that procedure I would complete my days. As you mentioned, expiry of card not equals expiry of status. I have completed 600 days which is 80% of my obligation and still counting since I am here in Canada now. And renewal of PR card will only be applied once I complete my remaining days - therefore not triggering anything. So where is the risk in me applying for sponsorship application? Another school of thought says apply as soon as possible.
You seem to be looking for a way to bend the rules and not seem to like advice that contradicts what you would like to hear.

Therefore, I would like to add my warning to the warnings you have received from others. You do not meet the RO. You do not have humanitarian grounds why you couldn't meet the RO. You have made a mess of it and you need to bend over backwards to fix it. You are not in the position of being able to make demands at this point.

If you apply to sponsor your child at this time, first, your application will take forever and 2nd, they will call you in for an interview and ask you why you do not meet the RO. At this point, you risk losing your PR status. Any time you enter Canada or apply for something from immigration, such as sponsorship for example, you are inviting them to examine your status. Therefore, you should not apply to sponsor your child or renew your PR card until you meet the RO unless you want to risk your PR.

In the future, you should make sure you meet the RO at all times. Even after you have renewed your card, you should always have at least 730 days in Canada in the past 5 years because you could be subject to an examination any time you enter Canada.

Having met the RO 80% still means not having met it. The RO is already lax compared to most other countries. Many will cancel your PR if you leave for more than 6 months.

As for people who have just landed, they meet the RO even if they haven't stayed 730 days because when you haven't yet been a PR for 5 years, the RO is defined as being able to meet 730 days before your first 5 years as a PR are up. For someone who has been a PR for 5 years or more, it is 730 days in the past 5.

drnafisa

Oct 10, 2014
Thanks for your response Leon. I was only brainstorming to see if I had any other chance because, life can be very difficult when families are apart. Anyway thank you to everyone in this forum for your support and responses. It was very kind of everyone to provide your efforts - I will take into consideration and discuss with my family, what's best for us.

Best regards...

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
drnafisa said:
Another school of thought says apply as soon as possible.
Do not apply for sponsorship until after you meet the PR RO (730 days in 5 years). When you apply for sponsorship, CIC will assess your PR status to determine of you meet your RO. You don't want them investigating this if you don't meet RO.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
drnafisa said:
Thanks for your response Leon. I was only brainstorming to see if I had any other chance because, life can be very difficult when families are apart. Anyway thank you to everyone in this forum for your support and responses. It was very kind of everyone to provide your efforts - I will take into consideration and discuss with my family, what's best for us.

Best regards...
You are in the very fortunate situation that your daughter has a TRV....many who come to this forum with your situation get bounced for both TRV and TRPs. Apply for a TRV extension pre the current TRV expiry...'I plan to sponsor my child in x months ' is a good enough reason which CIC see routinely. You will likely get 6 months or even a year extension which brings you back into RO compliance (assuming your current 'In Canada' days don't move out of the 5 year window) and enables sponsorship. Your only issue then is whether to go for inland sponsorship (In Canada processing) under H&C grounds (circa 30 months) or go for outland sponsorship (overseas visa post processing). Use the search function on the forum or go the family sponsorship section for threads on this.

HHH2000

Star Member
Jan 28, 2014
drnafisa said:

Best regards...
I can see between the lines you might get impatient and apply for sponsorship for your husband and than the real count down would start, we can only advice you rest is up to you, family living apart is not a joke but you could have avoided this situation long ago, my child was born in Canada and I stayed in middle east that saved me from lot of hustle and worries now, you made a different choice, I am not saying right or wrong becoz I went through lot of pain at that time that save me today from any worries.

So I recommend you don`t go for any wrong choice now, the best in my opinion is take the pain of waiting for RO to revert to good standing and then only apply for Sponsorship.

Good Luck