+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired PR returning to Canada, by first flying to USA -- additional details?

mloondi

Nov 7, 2016
My wife (Japanese) has an expired PR card, with a new PR card waiting for pick up in Canada. I am a Canadian citizen. We are currently living in Europe and plan to permanently return to Canada in January. The only question is --- HOW TO GET TO THE LAND BORDER (via a one way flight to US). This appears to be a semi-common situation but I can't find many clear details by search on this forum.

As many know, it is not possible to return to Canada by direct flight with an expired PR card, unless one gets a PRTD. Unfortunately this is an annoying thing in our case (due to delays, documents, uncertainties, etc.), and anyway travelling via the USA will turn out much cheaper and convenient-er for us. Thus we are planning to return to Canada via the land border: first flying to the US, then bussing to a US town near border, going through the border by foot, and finally getting picked up by family just on the other side. The CBSA will admit her without a PRTD, given we will have all the PR renewal documents and confirmation of renewal to pick up card.

However this leaves some questions about getting into the USA without hassle:

• What will the airline expect us to have? Upon landing, what will the US expect us to have?
  • Regarding one-way flights to USA, what is the recommended way to demonstrate the "proof of onward travel" that is apparently required? Can we buy fully refundable tickets, and if so, where can one buy these? Must the proof of onward travel be to a country outside of USA/Mex/Can?
  • In order to get on the damn airplane, we must convince them that we are not a problem. Will the airline ask annoying things about entering Canada, supposing they somehow realize this? We will not have an eTA nor PRTD as neither is required, but might they be confused?
  • Upon arriving at US how to deal with the airport customs: what is the best philosophy to convince them to allow us entry? Should we A) speak honestly that we are going to Canada (yet without any tickets), or B) continue the pretence and say we are going with the onward travel to Timbuktu?

Thanks!

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
2016-03 (EE), TFW since 2012-04
Flying to US requires ESTA (similar to eTA)

A Canadian and a Japanese shouldn't have too much trouble in the US border

Always be honest at the border, specially when you're doing nothing wrong

Not returning flight could be an issue, refundable tickets (usually not fully) can be found in travel agencies or airlines websites a higher price

Instead of the flight tickets you could try to compile documents about your trip to Canada:
- expired PR card
- renewal application
- copy of the new card if you can get it
- Canadian heath card and driver license
- Proof of Canadian address
- Family affidavit stating they are picking you up
- Bus tickets to the border (probably you can buy it online)

mloondi

Nov 7, 2016
Gregor.Samsa said:
Flying to US requires ESTA (similar to eTA)

A Canadian and a Japanese shouldn't have too much trouble in the US border

Always be honest at the border, specially when you're doing nothing wrong

Not returning flight could be an issue, refundable tickets (usually not fully) can be found in travel agencies or airlines websites a higher price

Instead of the flight tickets you could try to compile documents about your trip to Canada:
- expired PR card
- renewal application
- copy of the new card if you can get it
- Canadian heath card and driver license
- Proof of Canadian address
- Family affidavit stating they are picking you up
- Bus tickets to the border (probably you can buy it online)
Thanks Gregor. That's a good point about proof of onward travel, I remember reading somewhere that if onward travel after USA ends in Canada, you need to prove can you are able to legally reside in Canada. So the idea is to convince them that she can at least enter Canada (with various printouts as you suggest). I will also print out one of Immigration Canada's webpages where it indicates that it is possible to enter Canada by land, regardless of PR card being expired or not.

Honesty at the border makes sense. I suppose the main worry is if the flight company decides to be stubborn. But, this can be avoided by showing up early to airport, so that if they decide to be stubborn there is ample time to buy a refundable ticket from another company.

Well, you'll all hear back from me in January about how it went. Cheers!

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
2016-03 (EE), TFW since 2012-04
mloondi said:
Honesty at the border makes sense. I suppose the main worry is if the flight company decides to be stubborn. But, this can be avoided by showing up early to airport, so that if they decide to be stubborn there is ample time to buy a refundable ticket from another company.

The air company will be worry just about your admissibility in USA, having both ESTA in advance should be enough

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

https://ca.usembassy.gov/visas/do-i-need-a-visa/

ESTA is required for Japanese citizens, Canadians needs only a valid passport

micsilvestre

Mar 22, 2022
Thanks Gregor. That's a good point about proof of onward travel, I remember reading somewhere that if onward travel after USA ends in Canada, you need to prove can you are able to legally reside in Canada. So the idea is to convince them that she can at least enter Canada (with various printouts as you suggest). I will also print out one of Immigration Canada's webpages where it indicates that it is possible to enter Canada by land, regardless of PR card being expired or not.

Hi mloondi,

I have the same dilemna, I have a US visa but an expired PR card. I'm coming from the Philippines and I was only away for 3 weeks and have met my RO fully, so I'm still a Canadian PR. How did your trip go, did US officers grill you to produce a valid PR card with your onward travel? or no need to show them that? Please let me know, thanks!

Surianti

Mar 22, 2022
Hi mloondi,

I have the same dilemna, I have a US visa but an expired PR card. I'm coming from the Philippines and I was only away for 3 weeks and have met my RO fully, so I'm still a Canadian PR. How did your trip go, did US officers grill you to produce a valid PR card with your onward travel? or no need to show them that? Please let me know, thanks!

bricksonly

Mar 18, 2018
Just mention that you are going to Canada and you are Canadian PR (you have an expired PR Card right?), you are OK to enter Canada through a land pass. Fly to a nearby US city, (Buffalo, Seattle), rent a car or by bus, or have your friend to drive to pick you up.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
As long as you have met your RO you will be fine. I would suggest having a copy of your PR card renewal application.

micsilvestre

Mar 22, 2022
Just mention that you are going to Canada and you are Canadian PR (you have an expired PR Card right?), you are OK to enter Canada through a land pass. Fly to a nearby US city, (Buffalo, Seattle), rent a car or by bus, or have your friend to drive to pick you up.
Thank you! I think I'm good with dealing with CBSA at the border. I was just worried that the airline won't even let me board the plane to the U.S. without my PR Card or an onward ticket. I can't remember if they even ask for that since I already have my U.S. visa in my Philippine passport.

micsilvestre

Mar 22, 2022
As long as you have met your RO you will be fine. I would suggest having a copy of your PR card renewal application.

Thank you, I will definitely print all proof that I have (paystubs, NOAs, Mortgage if that counts as I just bought a house) before leaving Canada.

bricksonly

Mar 18, 2018
Thank you! I think I'm good with dealing with CBSA at the border. I was just worried that the airline won't even let me board the plane to the U.S. without my PR Card or an onward ticket. I can't remember if they even ask for that since I already have my U.S. visa in my Philippine passport.
I suggest you have B1/2 visa, and if you apply for it in Canada, yes, your PR status will show on the visa. But it's not a issue for you to fly into US. I was never asked to show my PR when fly to US. I assume PR expiration does not affect my B1/2.

jakklondon

Oct 17, 2021
Hi mloondi,

US always gets bad rap, but the reality is: we had the most immigrant friendly border enforcement officers during Trump administration. All you had to do was to have proper documents and not be on terrorist watch list or something similar. Current administration is actually way too friendly towards border crossers (to the point of risking our safety and security as a result of chaotic illegal migration pattern observed on our Southern border).
If you have B1/B2 visa and are a Canadian PR, it's near certain that you won't be asked any questions by our border officers. They have access to extensive information (the information collected and available to them is so broad, that it is mostly kept secret from general population), so by the time you show up at the counter 99.9% of their questions have been answered. They only look at you, to make sure you are who your documents say you are.
You will have to be on lookout when you get to Canadian border. They are the ones who may grill and intimidate you. They used to send me to secondary inspection at land POE when I was a brand new PR (before I even had my PR card received). It's highly unlikely for our border officers to mistreat you (unless you are a criminal and/or on some kind of a watch list). It can happen at our border too, but it's an exception to the rule and not something condoned by or backed by superiors. In Canada it's just the way they do their job.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you, I will definitely print all proof that I have (paystubs, NOAs, Mortgage if that counts as I just bought a house) before leaving Canada.
No need for mortgage proof. Would have proof of your PR card renewal and you can have proof of your NOAs on your phone but not necessary.

Jnava19

Apr 13, 2022
Hey @micsilvestre , I may need to do this as PR will hasnt arrived yet and traveling in 2 weeks.

How was your experience at the Canadian border with expired PR, any recommendation not mentiomed on the forum?

Thanks!