+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired PR card

samira702

Nov 1, 2009
We recieved our Pr cards in July 2002 and after recieving them we returned back to our country. I never went back to Canada and so my PR cards and all other cards expired in July 2007. Now we would like to know what should I do now to return to Canada.
thanks

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

samira702 said:
We recieved our Pr cards in July 2002 and after recieving them we returned back to our country. I never went back to Canada and so my PR cards and all other cards expired in July 2007. Now we would like to know what should I do now to return to Canada.
thanks
Re-apply if you qualify. www.cic.gc.ca

PMM

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, re-apply. To keep your PR status, you would have needed to reside in Canada for at least 2 out of any 5 years.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
For clarity, I take it that someone can be a permanent resident even after the PR card has expired.

So, in this case, IF the person could somehow get into Canada, maybe as a tourist, then stay the required 2 years of residence during the ensuing 5 years, then he could "restore" his PR status and apply for another PR card.

Is this correct? Or would this person be considered to have entered Canada under false pretences, as a tourist when he really was a lapsed permanent resident, intending to overstay his tourist visa in order to reinstate permanent residence?

All this ignores a vital issue here: why would someone obtain permanent residence only to immediately leave Canada, knowing the PR would lapse?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Entering as a tourist when you are really a PR would be misrepresentation. That doesn't mean that somebody might not get away with it. There are people who get away with all kinds of things and others who get caught.

People apply for PR for different reasons. Maybe they wanted to immigrate to Canada but by the time their number comes up, they have something else going on. Maybe they didn't apply themselves but went in on their parents application. Maybe they are in the US hoping for a green card and decided to apply for PR as insurance in case their work visa is cancelled before the green card comes through.

When somebody gets the PR, they might have a good job somewhere or they are studying and they are not ready to move right away. Time flies and before they know it, it's already 3 years since they landed and their PR is gone. Some people also don't know about the residency requirements and just think that as long as they go to Canada before their PR card expires, they are ok to renew it.

cuterose

Dec 25, 2009
Hi.
My PR card expired in 4th Feb 2010(5 year card).
i wanted to renew it.can i apply it by end of this feb-2010.is it ok.or it will cause problem for me to apply late.
i have been in canada since last 4 years and i have job ,residance and pay stub,income tax proof till date.i m in canada and working in company.

pl advice.

i got late to apply because i got divorced and remarried to another so i needed to change my surname to present hubby's surname and name followed by my name(previously it was on my ex husband as he sponsher me to come canada).so it took some time to change my drivers lincence name and other supporting documnet so that i can renew my pr card with this changed name.
also i had sponsered my present husband and he got PR visa from abroad.now he is coming to canada on 10th march-2010.
or i should apply on my old name pr card(as it is) and later when i apply for citizenship that time i change my passport name with my 2nd husband name and surname.

I really appreciate you guyies help in this matter.
pl do the needful

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can apply for a new PR card as late as you want. When you apply, send proof of your name change and then you will get your new name on your PR card. However, if your name is different on your passport still, you should carry your name change papers with you when you travel.

tahirfazal

Apr 7, 2010
my Pr card has expired and i am out side canada, how can i enter canada , is it possible to enter by road from buffalo , someone driving in from canada on a canadian number plate to pick me

thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you have your expired PR card and landing documents or at least either one of them, you can try to enter at the land border in a private car, either a car you rent or by having somebody pick you up.

You could also apply at the embassy for a PR travel document. You will have to show that you meet the residency requirements and they will give you a document allowing you to enter Canada as a PR which will then give you the option of taking a bus, fly in etc. After you are in Canada, you are supposed to apply to renew your PR card.

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cuterose said:
Hi.
My PR card expired in 4th Feb 2010(5 year card).
i wanted to renew it.can i apply it by end of this feb-2010.is it ok.or it will cause problem for me to apply late.
i have been in canada since last 4 years and i have job ,residance and pay stub,income tax proof till date.i m in canada and working in company.

pl advice.
So why dont you just apply for Citizenship??

fresh25

Sep 22, 2010
Hello

My situation is similar to most posted . My Wife's PR card expired last March while outside Canada . Basically I could not find a suitable job in Canada (I am a citizinn) and we could not have my wife stay on her own in Canada . I guess I would like some specific feed back on the following ;

1- How could she enter Canada on occasional vists ?

2- What is her PR status now ? could she apply for PR card from abroad? is it advisable ? Or she has to re apply for permenant residency all over again when we decide to live in Canada ?

Would really appreciate your feed back

Kind Regards

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
fresh25 said:
Hello

My situation is similar to most posted . My Wife's PR card expired last March while outside Canada . Basically I could not find a suitable job in Canada (I am a citizinn) and we could not have my wife stay on her own in Canada . I guess I would like some specific feed back on the following ;

1- How could she enter Canada on occasional vists ?

2- What is her PR status now ? could she apply for PR card from abroad? is it advisable ? Or she has to re apply for permenant residency all over again when we decide to live in Canada ?

Would really appreciate your feed back

Kind Regards
1. If she is visa exempt, she can use the landing documents and the expired PR card to enter. If she is not visa exempt, she can apply for a PR travel document at the Canadian embassy where you live.

2. A PR who is accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse in another country does not lose the PR status because of the residency requirements so she is still a PR. You can however not apply for a new PR card from outside Canada. If she wants to renew it, she should go to Canada for a visit and as soon as she is in Canada, apply for a new PR card.

She can either state that she needs it expedited based on her travel plans and hope that she gets it before she goes home again. I have heard of people getting a new PR card in as little as one month that way. The normal processing time is 7-8 months. Her other option would be to leave Canada again but having given the address of your friends/relatives in Canada, they will get her letter where she is given an appointment to pick up her new card and then she will have to come back to Canada to do that.

Dantar

Nov 6, 2010
My wife's PR card will be expiring on Nov. 15th. She has business overseas & cannot return in time for renewal. Her flight's scheduled for Nov. 25th.

We've consulted our friend here who's had similar instance where she was advised to submit her application for renewal earlier before the expiry date. My wife then tried to submit her renewal application overseas & was told she cannot apply until the actual expiry date. This sounded a bit absurd and would like more information. :eek:

Does anyone else have any experience on this???
Feel free to email our comments to me directly to funky_wiz@yahoo.com

Thank you.

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dantar said:
My wife's PR card will be expiring on Nov. 15th. She has business overseas & cannot return in time for renewal. Her flight's scheduled for Nov. 25th.

We've consulted our friend here who's had similar instance where she was advised to submit her application for renewal earlier before the expiry date. My wife then tried to submit her renewal application overseas & was told she cannot apply until the actual expiry date. This sounded a bit absurd and would like more information. :eek:

Does anyone else have any experience on this???
Feel free to email our comments to me directly to funky_wiz @ yahoo.com

Thank you.
She can get a travel document from the embassy and then apply to renew her PR card when she gets back into Canada.