+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired PR Card

irishnanna

Nov 2, 2008
I have a real problem. I just discovered my PR card expired October 2008. I have a trip to Mexico on November 9 - 23, and I was wondering if I will be able to get back into Canada when I return. I have lived in Canada 26 years, and I totally forgot the the PR card expired.
What should I do??

GK

Dec 18, 2007
Category........
Visa Office......
Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2008
Passport Req..
20-07-2008
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2008
LANDED..........
01-10-2008
If you're outside Canada whe the card expires you need to apply for travel documents to return. If you have't left yet - apply for a replacement card. Don't go with a expired card - it's not worth the hassle.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you apply for a new PR card now, you will not have it by November 9 since the processing time is right now 95 days.

If your PR card expires while you are overseas, you are supposed to apply for a travel document to get back in. You can find the application at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/pr-card/pr-card-faq11.asp but I don't know how long it takes to get it.

Another option.. it is possible if you apply for a new card now and have your receipt copy to prove it that they will let you in. I know that one of my bosses was sent on a business trip to the US while he was in the process of waiting for his work permit to be renewed and he got grilled by immigration coming back but he just said he had applied and was waiting and they did let him back in. One problem though, if you apply for a card now, you have to send in your expired card so you wont even have that.

You should call CIC at 1 888 242‑2100 and ask them what your options are.

irishnanna

Nov 2, 2008
Thank you! I will start the process tomorrow and bring it directly to the CIC centre myself.

Hope this helps my situation or else I will have to cancel my vacation in Mexico.

Leopard

Sep 28, 2008
Gents,

You forgot to mention that CIC accept renewal on urgent basis. When you send your application you have to include travel proof with it and write on the envelope " URGENT, TRAVEL PROOF INCLUDED" . They will be able to process in maximum 7 days from the date of receiving the application .

Regards,
Leopard

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leopard said:
Gents,

You forgot to mention that CIC accept renewal on urgent basis. When you send your application you have to include travel proof with it and write on the envelope " URGENT, TRAVEL PROOF INCLUDED" . They will be able to process in maximum 7 days from the date of receiving the application .

Regards,
Leopard
This is true, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/pr-card/apply-how.asp#urgent but 7 days is still not enough to make a trip on November 9 :( It is already the 2nd today.

annmcg

Nov 5, 2008
I am in the same situation, but slightly different.

I sent my renewal forms in at the end of August. CIC tells me that my application has not even been opened yet. I am now travelling to the US on November 30th and am pretty sure that i will not have my renewed card by then. (The travel was booked after my application was sent in as i was certain i would have the renewed card by then.)

CIC tells me that i have to apply for a travel document at a Canadian consulate. Closest one is Seatlle. However, in order to apply for one i must send my actual current passport (australian) and my expired PR card (expired yesterday.) That would be fine and i would do so by courier if I could get a guarantee that i would have those documents back in my hand before i travel to the US on November 30th as i won't be able to leave the country without them.

I cannot get a hold of anyone at the Seatlle office as they have an autoamted voice response message saying that no staff are available to take calls becasue they are under staffed. I then sent an e-mail request 2 days ago asking how long it would take to process the travel document. I received an automated reply to my e-mail saying that due to high volumes- my e-mail may not be repsonded to immediately. GREAT! Still have not heard a thing.

I am at my wits end not knowing what to do. My plan ticket is non refundable. I hope someone out there has some good advice!

Thanks,
Ann

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can also take your chances and take your passport and expired PR card and whatever correspondance you have from CIC that you have an application in for a new one and use that to enter again.

NewYorker

Nov 4, 2008
Just wondering, if you are living in Canada from 26 years, why you still have PR card. It is none of my business, but if you were citizen, you don't need a PR card right now.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
People may have different reasons why they don't go for citizenship. One is just not getting around to it, another is maybe they come from a country where dual is not allowed and they want to keep their original citizenship if they ever decide to go back.

NewYorker

Nov 4, 2008
Cool Leon, good point.

If it was me, I would have dump my country citizenship in a blink of an eye and taken theirs.

Canadienne

Nov 22, 2008
Do you know that you do not need a PR card to travel back into the country if you are travelling by car? Its been done as well. Keep your IMM and other ID , driving license etc.

Nadine167

Oct 7, 2014
Hello
I am permanent resident here in canada and I am staying here in canada with my family, my PR card will expire in dec 2014 and to renew it I have to wait till sept. 2015 (2 years) I only stayed for year and few months .
My question is can I travel on jan 2015 to the US for only one week and return to canada and what to do .
Thank you.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nadine167 said:
Hello
I am permanent resident here in canada and I am staying here in canada with my family, my PR card will expire in dec 2014 and to renew it I have to wait till sept. 2015 (2 years) I only stayed for year and few months .
My question is can I travel on jan 2015 to the US for only one week and return to canada and what to do .
Thank you.
Do you really want to risk your PR for a week in the US?

If you do, you should travel via the land border on your expired card. However, if you get reported on entry, you risk losing your PR status.