+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entering without PR Card and expired passport

anandheeraman

Apr 8, 2009
Hi all,

I'm a Trinidad & Tobago citizen. I live in Dubai. My family landed in July and we came back the following month. Only my PR card has arrived at the Canadian address. Not sure what happened to the other family members own. Had someone call in Canada about it and say it might have been because the pictures did not come out good? That's strange. They say we have to get a travel document to enter Canada (unless driving through from the US). The US is a no go. Added to this, our passports expire end Oct. We did apply at the T&T embassy in Toronto for our new passports which should be ready by now. However, we haven't gotten any response from them on it.

A couple of problems;

1. We can't get into Canada without our PR except me. (heard about getting a travel document to get into Canada)
2. Our passport expires end Oct, if we don't get our new passports soon, it means we will not be able to travel anywhere period.
3. We must be in Canada to send in our old passports and more importantly collect our new passports.

Bottom line is that if our passports expire while we are in Dubai we can't travel period and I don't think the Canadian embassy will issue us a travel document without an unexpired passport.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Regards.

Prasad2008

Oct 27, 2008
Complex....
Could not understand why you applied for new passports in Toronto while you meant to be back Dubai !!

Unless you get the passports delivered / issued in Dubai (T&T has an embassy?) - cant see how you can get around.
Your PR card can be couriered to you - Your family members can apply for a travel document....but all would need valid passports....

Others may have better ideas....
Regards

anandheeraman

Apr 8, 2009
T&T does not have an embassy in Dubai. The closest one is in London. Seeing that we landed in Canada, we took the opportunity to apply for our passports there.

I'm not sure if it's illegal to post passports but we were planning on posting in our existing passports to be cancelled and then sent back to us via fedex, but the new passports are not there as yet and 9 weeks have gone by.

Any other suggestions?