+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entering Canada as a visitor while waiting for classes to start.

JuhatmaRhdn

Star Member
Nov 1, 2021
Good day to you all.

I have a question regarding the possibility of traveling to Canada 6 months before the start of my classes using a TRV (Tempary resident visa).

First a little summary of my case:

• I applied for my student visa on August 2021 with the intention of starting classes in January 2022.
  • In November i received the medical exam request but a few days after i've done the exams, i received a letter requesting additional tests.
  • I was asked to do a Sputum Test and extra X Rays. All that would take 10 weeks to complete wish meant that i would not be able to attend the winter 2022 intake anymore and i had to defer to September 2022.
  • Couple of days ago i finally passed my medical exams and now i am waiting for the PPR.
  • Keep in mind that i have an active TRV and have family members living in canada who will let me stay with them.
Basically, before i received the request for the additional medical tests, i was already preparing everything in my life for the travel. So i quit my job and sold the things that needed to be sold and so on. Unfortunately, that did not go smoothly. But now, since most likely i will start classes in September, i would prefer not to get a throwaway job for only 5 months or spend money in re-acquiring all the things that i sold and would need if i were to stay here in my country waiting for the classes to start, just to then sell them all again in couple of months, and quitting the job. Not worth it specially because i have the alternative to go and wait for the classes to start in Canada as visitor, staying with my family members.

So my question is: There would be any issue traveling to Canada as a visitor and staying with my family members for the months that i am allowed as visitor, waiting for my classes to start? When my classes are about to start, i then would switch the purpose of my visit from visitor to international student. I think i would have to exit the country and then enter again but that is not an issue really. I just want to make sure i can safely wait for the classes to start while being inside Canada, without jeopardizing my student visa or visitor's visa.

Thank you all for your time and answers.

Last edited:

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Good day to you all.

I have a question regarding the possibility of traveling to Canada 6 months before the start of my classes using a TRV (Tempary resident visa).

First a little summary of my case:

• I applied for my student visa on August 2021 with the intention of starting classes on January 2022.
  • On November i received the medical exam request but a few days after i've done the exams, i received a letter requesting additional tests.
  • I was asked to do a Sputum Test and extra X Rays. All that would take 10 weeks to complete wish meant that i would not be able to attend the winter 2022 intake anymore and i had to defer to September 2022.
  • Couple of days ago i finally passed my medical exams and now i am waiting for the PPR.
  • Keep in mind that i have an active TRV (Temporary resident visa) and have family members living in canada who will let me stay with them.
Basically, before i received the request for the additional medical tests, i was already preparing everything in my life for the travel. So i quit my job and sold the things that needed to be sold and so on. Unfortunately, that did not go smoothly. But now, since most likely i will start classes in September, i would prefer not to get a throwaway job for only 5 months or spend money in re-acquiring all the things that i sold and would need if i were to stay here in my country waiting for the classes to start, just to then sell them all again in couple of months, and quitting the job. Not worth it specially because i have the alternative to go and wait for the classes to start in Canada as visitor, staying with my family members.

So my question is: There would be any issue traveling to Canada as a visitor and staying with my family members for the months that i am allowed as visitor, waiting for my classes to start? When my classes are about to start, i then would switch the purpose of my visit from visitor to international student. I think i would have to exit the country and then enter again but that is not an issue really. I just want to make sure i can safely wait for the classes to start while being inside Canada, without jeopardizing my student visa or visitor's visa.

Thank you all for your time and answers.
1. If you try to enter more than a month or so prior to classes starting , you may find CBSA refusing your entry as a student,

JuhatmaRhdn

Star Member
Nov 1, 2021
Hi

1. If you try to enter more than a month or so prior to classes starting , you may find CBSA refusing your entry as a student,
Even if i have a TRV? I know if i only have my student's visa, i can only enter a month prior of the start of the classes.
But since i also have a temporary resident visa, i was hoping i can use it to enter Canada way sooner.

The way i see it, i will be using my two different visas for their intended purposes. First i will visit my family, stay a couple of months with them and then i will start my classes.

Last edited:

Prayedup12

Jan 4, 2023
Even if i have a TRV? I know if i only have my student's visa, i can only enter a month prior of the start of the classes.
But since i also have a temporary resident visa, i was hoping i can use it to enter Canada way sooner.

The way i see it, i will be using my two different visas for their intended purposes. First i will visit my family, stay a couple of months with them and then i will start my classes.
what happened? did you enter as a visitor?

EssKay1234

Oct 25, 2022

Chill bruh. You have a Valid TRV so you can go whenever you want. The chances are that the CBSA officer may grant you Study permit considering ur study start dates too.