+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Enter as a student, apply for PGWPP and then what?

Splendonia

May 10, 2017
Hello everyone. I'm from Venezuela. I'm 27 years old, not married and a woman. I already have a bachelor's degree in computer engineering, I'm taking the last requisite class on a master's degree in software engineering and I finished a 300 hour course program in criminal psychology, which is valid in Latin America but I'm sure it's not valid in Canada (honestly, not sure but I don't think it is).

I contacted an agency that helps me apply to colleges in Toronto, I explained them that I wanted to eventually stay there and they suggested that I should study a 2 year program, then apply for the PGWPP (which according to them is renewable) but I have no idea how to go from that to be able to apply for a permanent residency. The program is public and private investigation at Sheridan College in Ontario.

However, someone who studied in Canada long ago gave me an advice last night, that I should do a 4 year degree instead (I've been looking at this option since last night and a couple of universities in Manitoba seem to fit my budget and preferred degrees such as the winnipeg University and Canadian Mennonite University).

My ultimate goal is to stay in Canada after studying. Because according to the agency I contacted, it's the easiest way to enter and they value a lot if you studied there.

Honestly, I'm really confused about the whole thing and I don't know who to ask.

What would you recommend I should do?

RiZ92

Aug 27, 2013
Hello everyone. I'm from Venezuela. I'm 27 years old, not married and a woman. I already have a bachelor's degree in computer engineering, I'm taking the last requisite class on a master's degree in software engineering and I finished a 300 hour course program in criminal psychology, which is valid in Latin America but I'm sure it's not valid in Canada (honestly, not sure but I don't think it is).

I contacted an agency that helps me apply to colleges in Toronto, I explained them that I wanted to eventually stay there and they suggested that I should study a 2 year program, then apply for the PGWPP (which according to them is renewable) but I have no idea how to go from that to be able to apply for a permanent residency. The program is public and private investigation at Sheridan College in Ontario.

However, someone who studied in Canada long ago gave me an advice last night, that I should do a 4 year degree instead (I've been looking at this option since last night and a couple of universities in Manitoba seem to fit my budget and preferred degrees such as the winnipeg University and Canadian Mennonite University).

My ultimate goal is to stay in Canada after studying. Because according to the agency I contacted, it's the easiest way to enter and they value a lot if you studied there.

Honestly, I'm really confused about the whole thing and I don't know who to ask.

Hi,

I was in the same situation as you but my field is Engineering.
Here is the long story Short.

Come as a student but look for the program which relates to your previous degree and profession (otherwise it will be hard to get student visa)
2 years program will give you 3 years of Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP). So you will have 5 years confirmed in Canada.
After your education, you need one year of experience in your profession to apply for Permanent residency (PR) under CEC category. And if everything will go smooth. You will get PR in 3-4 months.

So the road map you have is 4-5 years to become PR through Student visa.

Let me know if you will need more info.

Regards,

Riz

picklee

Feb 19, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Come as a student but look for the program which relates to your previous degree and profession (otherwise it will be hard to get student visa)
2 years program will give you 3 years of Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP). So you will have 5 years confirmed in Canada.
After your education, you need one year of experience in your profession to apply for Permanent residency (PR) under CEC category. And if everything will go smooth. You will get PR in 3-4 months.

Regards,

Riz
This is not entirely accurate. The PGWP is only valid for the number of years you studied, to the maximum of 3 years total (minimum is 8 months). So if you do a 2 year program, you will get a 2 year PGWP. If you do a 4 year program, you will get a 3 year PGWP.

The PGWP is not renewable. That is really bad information. You can apply for a different work permit, but if you are interested in getting PR, then you would just apply for PR.

You can get PR in about 3.5 years and the immigration cost will be between C$2145-C$2845. (Not counting tuition and fees for the program.)

I too came to Canada as a student, got PGWP, and now applying for PR. My timeline was 4 year post-graduate study in Canada (PhD), got 3 year PGWP, worked one full year at full time, and now applied for PR under CEC economic class.

If I were you, I would do a 2 year masters program, get 2 year PGWP, work full time one year, and then apply for PR. Best case, the total time to PR after coming to Canada is about 3.5 years. Worser case, you don't find full time employment and work part time, which takes longer to apply for PR (4-5 years) if you don't have foreign work experience. Worst case, you can't find employment and end up leaving Canada with a masters degree.

Your CRS will be competitive for getting PR with the combined factors of your age and education.

Fees at time of writing are $150 study permit, $255 PGWP, $550 PR application fee, and $490 right of permanent residence fee (RPRF) = C$1445 in immigration fees. Expect to pay another C$700-C$1400 for language assessment, foreign education assessment, medical exam, and criminality background checks, depending on the complexity of your life history.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
This is not entirely accurate. The PGWP is only valid for the number of years you studied, to the maximum of 3 years total (minimum is 8 months). So if you do a 2 year program, you will get a 2 year PGWP. If you do a 4 year program, you will get a 3 year PGWP.
This is not entirely accurate either. A full 2 year program will give a 3 year PGWP.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/students/post-grad.asp

If the duration of the program of study is two years or longer as confirmed by the DLI, the duration of the work permit should be three years.

picklee

Feb 19, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This is not entirely accurate either. A full 2 year program will give a 3 year PGWP.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/students/post-grad.asp

If the duration of the program of study is two years or longer as confirmed by the DLI, the duration of the work permit should be three years.
Ah, didn't realize that. Thanks for sharing. Also this footnote may be relevant to OP:

Officers may issue three-year work permits to individuals who complete a master’s degree in Canada when the DLI has confirmed in the written confirmation of program completion (e.g., an official letter or transcript) that the degree is 16 to 23 months in duration and does not include regularly scheduled breaks.

Splendonia

May 10, 2017

The PGWP is not renewable. That is really bad information. You can apply for a different work permit, but if you are interested in getting PR, then you would just apply for PR.

You can get PR in about 3.5 years and the immigration cost will be between C$2145-C$2845. (Not counting tuition and fees for the program.)

I too came to Canada as a student, got PGWP, and now applying for PR. My timeline was 4 year post-graduate study in Canada (PhD), got 3 year PGWP, worked one full year at full time, and now applied for PR under CEC economic class.

If I were you, I would do a 2 year masters program, get 2 year PGWP, work full time one year, and then apply for PR. Best case, the total time to PR after coming to Canada is about 3.5 years. Worser case, you don't find full time employment and work part time, which takes longer to apply for PR (4-5 years) if you don't have foreign work experience. Worst case, you can't find employment and end up leaving Canada with a masters degree.

Your CRS will be competitive for getting PR with the combined factors of your age and education.

Fees at time of writing are $150 study permit, $255 PGWP, $550 PR application fee, and $490 right of permanent residence fee (RPRF) = C$1445 in immigration fees. Expect to pay another C$700-C$1400 for language assessment, foreign education assessment, medical exam, and criminality background checks, depending on the complexity of your life history.
So you mean, 3.5 years not counting the 2 years of the program. What do the work permits depend on? do they have an specific duration too?

Why a master's program and not another program? (I already have a master's or I will by the time I get to canada, next logical step would be a PhD) .

Foreign work experience refers to working experience in the country where I'm from, right?

Splendonia

May 10, 2017
Hi,

Regards,

Riz
Why do you say it would be hard to get a student visa if the field is not related to my current profession? Isn't it possible for a person to want to study something unrelated to what they've studied before, specially if it's not a degree that it's offered in my country?

Thanks for the information.

picklee

Feb 19, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So you mean, 3.5 years not counting the 2 years of the program. What do the work permits depend on? do they have an specific duration too?

Why a master's program and not another program? (I already have a master's or I will by the time I get to canada, next logical step would be a PhD) .

Foreign work experience refers to working experience in the country where I'm from, right?
In my calculation, 3.5 years is inclusive of a 2-year program. Here's the breakdown:

2 year program
1 year PGWP
6 months apply for PR
= 3.5 year

I didn't realize you would be coming with masters. Probably not feasible to do the PhD in 2 years. In this case your timeline is probably 5-6 years, depending on the length of your PhD.

RiZ92

Aug 27, 2013
Why do you say it would be hard to get a student visa if the field is not related to my current profession? Isn't it possible for a person to want to study something unrelated to what they've studied before, specially if it's not a degree that it's offered in my country?

Thanks for the information.

Whatever info I am sharing is what I have experienced personally.

VO are very keen on granting visas for Masters and PHD degrees. If they were unable to link your intended Degree with existing one they probably reject. The way to convince VO regarding your intended program is through SOP (Statement of Purpose). SOP includes your brief intro, your existing degree, relationship between your current and intended program, how it will benefit you and your country because you have to convince VO that you will go back after your studies regardless of PGWP.

3.5 Years is in ideal world. And the ideal world is;
  • You finish your program in less than 2 years (16 months = Semesters), This will also give you 3 year PGWP.
  • You get the Job right away.
  • You get the ITA right away.
  • You Submit your EAPR right away.
  • You get PR within time frame (which mostly people do).

Practically 4-5 Years is average for Masters. Add 1-1.5 years more for PHD.

A bonus info for you; If you want to convert your Masters into PHD during studies then it can be done also which is usually called Masters leading to PHD.

Last edited:

RiZ92

Aug 27, 2013

Please try to read through the Queries carefully before commenting and claiming other person is wrong.

People are relying on our answers here.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014

Do you already have one to three years of work experience? If so, you can apply directly for PR and then study there to get much cheaper tuition rates and possibly student loans.

I'm thinking you got those answers because you specifically asked people who are motivated to get you to study in Canada.

Reactions: Mthornt

picklee

Feb 19, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Please try to read through the Queries carefully before commenting and claiming other person is wrong.

People are relying on our answers here.
I had a misunderstanding of the program, but canuck_in_uk pointed out the facts and I corrected in a later post. Also, you didn't cite any source, so it wasn't clear what was the fact.