+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Employer Letter

nanamink99

Nov 22, 2011
Hey guys,

I am preparing my application for pr. As per company regulation, my employer is not allowed to right a letter for immigration purposes.
Lately, I have expressed my desire to apply for an online graduate program with my employer and he said he would provide a reference letter and a employment verification form requested by the university. The employment verification form has basically every information needed for pr.

Has anyone submitted a supporting letter that was directed to an university or bank loan? Would it harm my application if the letter clearly mentioned that my employer supports my application for this graduate program?

thanks ;)

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
CIC may not mind it so much but what happens when they call to verify your employment and your employer realises that you used the letter for another purpose without their consent? Not only can they tell CIC what you did and that they don't support PR applications, they can also fire you which will make it very hard to find new work.
My advice? Be honest and find a manager or supervisor willing to provide a reference letter for you for this purpose.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
I agree with SB that it would be best to try to get a letter from a supervisor. I personally think it would be OK to use these documents, with a written explanation that your employer refuses to provide a letter for immigration purposes.

You should be aware, tho, that applications without the specified letter of reference from your employer are usually rejected. One reason is that applicants provide "old" documents (e.g. letters of appointment from 2 years ago), but in your case they would be "recent" - if they truly contain all the required information, it might work. The key would be that they documents are "recent" (like no older than a month from when you submit your application).

As S.B. notes - CIC could call your employer to verify the information, and they may not like that you use the documents for other than the intended purpose. If you also use them to apply to the graduate program with legitimate intent, there would be no deception, so I honestly do not see how that would be a firing offense. But then, I don't see how a company can legally refuse to provide the information in the first place. I suppose that you would have to weigh the potential risks vs potential rewards.

rmust

Star Member
Jul 18, 2012
Mississauga, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-Nov-2011
AOR Received.
26-Jan-2012
Med's Request
27-March-2012
Med's Done....
31-March-2012
Passport Req..
22-June-12
VISA ISSUED...
27-July-12 (received Aug 2)
LANDED..........
04-Aug-12
I dont understand why some companies do not want to give letters for immigration purposes. Is the company doing something illegal and they want to avoid contact from CIC?

Anyways, all your employer needs to give you is a letter confirming your employment details. The letter does not need to be addressed to CIC, it can simply be addressed as "To Whom it May Concern". Your company is not in any way requesting CIC to give you PR, they just need to state you job details.

As mentioned in above posts, see if a supervisor can give you a letter of reference...

Good Luck!

gladaki

Champion Member
Jul 15, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-11-2013
AOR Received.
30-12-2013
IELTS Request
submitted with application
Med's Done....
Upfront on 29th April..Updated on Ecas on 26th May
Passport Req..
11-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
17-07-2014
LANDED..........
20-07-2014
Companies usually give letter to whomever it concern and it works fine

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
rmust said:
I dont understand why some companies do not want to give letters for immigration purposes. Is the company doing something illegal and they want to avoid contact from CIC?
Most of the people who have trouble getting these letters seem to work for Indian multinationals (not your typical Canadian employer)... Different culture, even though one would expect that they would have to comply with Canadian labour standards... Perhaps India wants to discourage the brain drain....?

baruwa

Dec 16, 2010
@senorita. I faced the same issue with employer when I was applying for PNP. They said it was not in company's policy to issue reference letter for immigration purpose.I practically begged a manager in my office to help me sign the letter after I had prepared it. I got my LOA. Working on my PR now. I think it works. They will call or email the person that signed the letter if need be. In my case they didnt.