+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Eligibility period - Outside Canada but not required

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
I'm trying to submit my application but I'm hitting a small (well a number of small) issues.

My eligibility period is listed as yesterday 1/20/14-1/20/19. However I arrived in Canada February '14.

So, under step 10a I included my address from my last month in the UK (listed from 2010 when I actually lived there). It says above did you live outside of Canada.

Well yes, from Jan 20th to Feb I did. But that form to complete I can't do, because I hadn't come to Canada and the form says "FOR ADULT CITIZENSHIP APPLICANTS DECLARING RESIDENCE OUTSIDE
CANADA AS A CROWN SERVANT OR WITH A CROWN SERVANT FAMILY MEMBER"

Which isn't relevant to me.

Am I good to just submit without that extra form? I don't need the extra few weeks as I've got about 1200 days so am well over the 1095 requirement.

Thanks so much. This forum was very useful while doing my PR way back!

oomuchi

Apr 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney/Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-10-2014
Doc's Request.
RPRF's Request :30-11-2015
Nomination.....
T4/NoA 2015 :Upfront end of July
AOR Received.
16-02-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
March 2015 to Ottawa
Med's Request
27-11-2015
Med's Done....
04-12-2015
Interview........
na
Passport Req..
14-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
18-12-2015
LANDED..........
09-01-2016
I'm trying to submit my application but I'm hitting a small (well a number of small) issues.

My eligibility period is listed as yesterday 1/20/14-1/20/19. However I arrived in Canada February '14.

So, under step 10a I included my address from my last month in the UK (listed from 2010 when I actually lived there). It says above did you live outside of Canada.

Well yes, from Jan 20th to Feb I did. But that form to complete I can't do, because I hadn't come to Canada and the form says "FOR ADULT CITIZENSHIP APPLICANTS DECLARING RESIDENCE OUTSIDE
CANADA AS A CROWN SERVANT OR WITH A CROWN SERVANT FAMILY MEMBER"

Which isn't relevant to me.

Am I good to just submit without that extra form? I don't need the extra few weeks as I've got about 1200 days so am well over the 1095 requirement.

Thanks so much. This forum was very useful while doing my PR way back!
PLEASE see:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/c-6-citizenship-applications-frequently-asked-questions.522548/

IF YOU ANSWER "YES", YOU MUST SEND AN EMPTY/BLANK CIT 0177 form saying N/A.

Question 9c is confusing me. I lived outside of Canada but I wasn't a Crown Servant. Why should I fill that weird form?
Full disclosure: IRCC made a mistake with the form here and it will hopefully corrected soon. Here is my personal recommendation (note: I am not a lawyer) on how to deal with it.
  • If you did not live outside of Canada in the eligibility period (five years), tick “No” and you are good.
  • If you lived outside of Canada in the eligibility period and you actually were a crown servant of Canada (unlikely), tick “Yes” and fill that extra form.
  • Those of you who lived outside of Canada in the eligibility period but were not crown servants, tick “Yes” or “No” but - and this is the important part - add an explanation page to your application saying something like this (use your own words, don't just copy this): “Question 9c: This question is a bit unclear so I want to clarify the situation: Yes, I lived outside Canada during the eligibility period, but No, I do not want to claim residency credit for that time outside of Canada. That rare situation does not apply to me. This is why I did not fill the additional form since there is no residency outside Canada to claim.

Reactions: jc94

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
Thanks, I will write an explanation page about that! I don't really want to delay my whole application for a month (I'm away soon) just because the form is ... flawed!

Zmaqsood

Champion Member
Sep 10, 2014
Milton. ON
PLEASE see:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/c-6-citizenship-applications-frequently-asked-questions.522548/

IF YOU ANSWER "YES", YOU MUST SEND AN EMPTY/BLANK CIT 0177 form saying N/A.

Question 9c is confusing me. I lived outside of Canada but I wasn't a Crown Servant. Why should I fill that weird form?
Full disclosure: IRCC made a mistake with the form here and it will hopefully corrected soon. Here is my personal recommendation (note: I am not a lawyer) on how to deal with it.
  • If you did not live outside of Canada in the eligibility period (five years), tick “No” and you are good.
  • If you lived outside of Canada in the eligibility period and you actually were a crown servant of Canada (unlikely), tick “Yes” and fill that extra form.
  • Those of you who lived outside of Canada in the eligibility period but were not crown servants, tick “Yes” or “No” but - and this is the important part - add an explanation page to your application saying something like this (use your own words, don't just copy this): “Question 9c: This question is a bit unclear so I want to clarify the situation: Yes, I lived outside Canada during the eligibility period, but No, I do not want to claim residency credit for that time outside of Canada. That rare situation does not apply to me. This is why I did not fill the additional form since there is no residency outside Canada to claim.
You can simply tick No to question 9c but still provide addrss details in question below for entire eligibility period including month in UK.

Zmaqsood

Champion Member
Sep 10, 2014
Milton. ON
Here is excerpt from instruction guide of IRCC

"There are very rare circumstances that will let you count time outside of Canada towards your physical presence calculation. If you resided outside of Canada because either: youyour Canadian citizen or permanent resident spouse or common law partnerpermanent resident parent was employed outside Canada (not as a locally engaged person) in or with: the Canadian Armed Forcesthe federal public administrationthe public service of a province or territory Complete the Residence Outside of Canada form (CIT 0177) (PDF, 667.46KB)and submit any supporting documents requested in that form with your application."

So my suggestion is keep it simple and say No and do not attach a form

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
Well question 11 is also weird as my company name changed, and the address also did, which would be fine except guess where my IELTS was sent ;) There are many aspects of this form that upset me.

I think my favourite was not being able to list the same day twice on the time out of Canada one. One day I flew from Canada to the US, missed my flight, went back to Canada on the same day, then flew through Germany on my way to India :) The form basically broke and I ended up with two entries and clicking edit on one edited the other which then wouldn't accept the edit.

As per spyfy, there are humans reading these, and hopefully they're sympathetic to the system flaws. Fingers crossed.

Thanks again both!

canvan14

May 8, 2014
Can you just do it by hand if the date doesn't work or include an explanation letter?
If it's the date calculator perhaps doing manual calculation by hand too?

EstherBarros

Aug 18, 2014
BC- Canada
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
17-11-2014
Doc's Request.
02-07-2015
AOR Received.
03-02-2015
File Transfer...
14-02-2015
Med's Done....
23-09-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
19-08-2015
LANDED..........
22-08-2015
Can you just do it by hand if the date doesn't work or include an explanation letter?
If it's the date calculator perhaps doing manual calculation by hand too?
I don't understand your question, could you please clarify?

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
I'm wondering if the question from canvan14 was related to my comment:

I think my favourite was not being able to list the same day twice on the time out of Canada one. One day I flew from Canada to the US, missed my flight, went back to Canada on the same day, then flew through Germany on my way to India :) The form basically broke and I ended up with two entries and clicking edit on one edited the other which then wouldn't accept the edit.

In this case, I put the US into the "to" field (as the form says) and wrote details of my trip into the comments box. Details of final trip destination, and countries visited on the way and way back. ie: "Trip to India" ... "Flew to the US, back to Canada, then out through Germany" etc...

The issue is, it took me a while to work out that I had to delete one entry to delete the other after the form let me add two things, then wouldn't let me modify or submit. I had hoped to list it as separate entries (as I did for PR) however as my passport does have US and Canada stamps that day and any search with CBSA will show my potentially strange history up.

Congrats to EstherBarros on your recent decision made :)

Reactions: EstherBarros

canvan14

May 8, 2014
I don't understand your question, could you please clarify?
I just meant if filling in the form electronically gave one trouble, like jc94 mentioned above that it didn't let s/he entered the same date twice, one can print the form out and do it by hand. It's not ideal but for these "out of the ordinary" reason, it can't be helped. I think an explanation letter can help to clarify things further. After all, these documents will be checked by a person so the more clearly you explain, the better.

EstherBarros

Aug 18, 2014
BC- Canada
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
17-11-2014
Doc's Request.
02-07-2015
AOR Received.
03-02-2015
File Transfer...
14-02-2015
Med's Done....
23-09-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
19-08-2015
LANDED..........
22-08-2015
I would try and stick to filling it out electronically, as it is much easier to make sure there are no errors. The fact that the form does not allow the same date twice is actually GOOD, as it avoids mistakes. Then, in the notes, one can clarify further, like @jc94 did above. Presumably, that is the way they want the form to be filled in. This is just my opinion, of course :)

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
It is a hard line to judge, to cover terrible 9c and also another question where I had a concern I included a half page typed note.

But if I have covered every single concern in a letter it would have been several pages. Which at best would probably have delayed my application!

End of the day, I think you have to hope your application is reviewed by someone who isn’t having a bad day!

canvan14

May 8, 2014
It is a hard line to judge, to cover terrible 9c and also another question where I had a concern I included a half page typed note.

But if I have covered every single concern in a letter it would have been several pages. Which at best would probably have delayed my application!

End of the day, I think you have to hope your application is reviewed by someone who isn’t having a bad day!
Have faith in the system, they do have a guideline/rules that they must follow. But to be honest at the end of the day it will ease your mind of unnecessary stress since there will be a long wait up ahead which you have no control over :)

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
Have faith in the system, they do have a guideline/rules that they must follow. But to be honest at the end of the day it will ease your mind of unnecessary stress since there will be a long wait up ahead which you have no control over :)
Thanks, I don't do well with things I can't control or waiting in general. Yes I am one of those who paid the extra to get my language test results within a couple of days despite the fact that I didn't have many concerns about my ability to speak the language given my English passport and degree o_O;)