+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Effective date of Bill C24

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In order the application to be in the CIC office before 1st July, it looks like the last chance for sending will be 26-27 of June (Friday-Saturday).
It looks like the last eligible people to apply under the old rule with at least 1095 days of physical presence will be those who will have at least 1095 physical presence days before 27th of June

2_of_5

Aug 16, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2012
LANDED..........
27-06-2013
MUFC said:
In order the application to be in the CIC office before 1st July, it looks like the last chance for sending will be 26-27 of June (Friday-Saturday).
It looks like the last eligible people to apply under the old rule with at least 1095 days of physical presence will be those who will have at least 1095 physical presence days before 27th of June
Which happens to be the 2 year anniversary of my landing date. :mad:

bananaman

Jan 28, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I've been eagerly following this thread pretty much since it started because I will reach 1095 days on May 27th. Given this date is a Wednesday, if the bill were to come into force on June 1st, I'd only have two working days to get it there in time - by May 29th (last working day before Jun 1st). A brief look at UPS/Fedex etc. and this looks pretty much impossible because I'm in the west, short of flying to Nova Scotia myself which won't be possible for family reasons.

Thanks dpenabill for your detailed posts - I'm sure I join many others in appreciating the clarity you add to this discussion.

Given the decision to make on applying with exactly 1095 days is whether there are any mistakes on your record of exiting and re-entering Canada versus whether they bring the rule into force with little or no notice, wouldn't it be prudent for all of us on the cusp to request our records from Ports of Entry now? That way we can either attempt to get mistakes rectified before the all-important time, or just wait the extra number of days so we have 1095 days according to the record too?

At least I thought I read somewhere that it was possible to request POE records?

DvsP

Jan 28, 2015
MUFC said:
Question: What will happen if you send your application a few days earlier than your 1095 day?

For example, let's assume July 1 is the deadline, and you will make 1095 days on June 29 (you put June 29 as the signature date). Can you send your application a week before June 29 (i.e. June 22). In that case, your application will definitely arrive in CIC on or before June 29. I wonder what CIC would do when they receive your application before June 29. They don't open your envelope immediately and start processing, right? By the time they open your envelope and assign a case number to you, it will be a few weeks after June 29.

Anybody familiar with their process? Is it gonna work by sending the application a few days earlier to arrive in time?

Dave01

Star Member
Feb 24, 2014
DvsP said:
Question: What will happen if you send your application a few days earlier than your 1095 day?

For example, let's assume July 1 is the deadline, and you will make 1095 days on June 29. Can you send your application a week before June 29 (i.e. June 22). In that case, your application will definitely arrive in CIC on or before June 29. I wonder what CIC would do when they receive your application before June 29. They don't open your envelope immediately and start processing, right? By the time they open your envelope and assign a case number to you, it will be a few weeks after June 29.

Anybody familiar with their process? Is it gonna work by sending the application a few days earlier to arrive in time?
Wrong move.. The day you sign your package would be the last day counted towards your 1095days. So you cant send before June 29 in this scenario.

DvsP

Jan 28, 2015
Dave01 said:
Wrong move.. The day you sign your package would be the last day counted towards your 1095days. So you cant send before June 29 in this scenario.
Your signature date will be June 29, but you mail the package a few days earlier. Let's say you plan well so that your package will arrive in CIC office on June 29, is that not gonna work?

bananaman

Jan 28, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
DvsP said:
Your signature date will be June 29, but you mail the package a few days earlier. Let's say you plan well so that your package will arrive in CIC office on June 29, is that not gonna work?
You need to print out the Online Calculator showing that you have presently met the days of physical presence - I don't believe this will show correctly until you have actually reached the date, so you have to reach the date before you can send your application.

DvsP

Jan 28, 2015
bananaman said:
You need to print out the Online Calculator showing that you have presently met the days of physical presence - I don't believe this will show correctly until you have actually reached the date, so you have to reach the date before you can send your application.
The online calculator allows you to enter a future date as the application date. Even if there were issue with the online calculator, you could still use the paper form (CIT0407) to report the days.

In the worst case scenario, let's say you send your application on June 29, your package still can arrive in CIC on Jun 30 by using FedEx or UPS next day service, right?

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Technically the applicant has to sign and sent the application the day after he/she already accumulate 1095 of physical presence.
There is no way to sent the application with a future date in advance. The signature must be done on the actual date when the application will be sent and on that date the applicant must already have at least 1095 days of physical presence, so the signature itself must be on the 1096th day of physical presence.

DvsP

Jan 28, 2015
Another question is:

By the time some officer opens the application, it will be weeks past the deadline. They should have a way of tracking the receive date. Does CIC track the date they receive the application (i.e. is there anyone in their receiving department to put a date stamp on the application)?

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The date that matters is only the date they will receive the application.
If they receive the application before 1st of July it will be under the old rules.

The application must be signed and sent on the 1096th day of physical presence.(One day after the minimum 1095 day requirement)

bananaman

Jan 28, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
DvsP said:
The online calculator allows you to enter a future date as the application date. Even if there were issue with the online calculator, you could still use the paper form (CIT0407) to report the days.

In the worst case scenario, let's say you send your application on June 29, your package still can arrive in CIC on Jun 30 by using FedEx or UPS next day service, right?
I checked by doing a hypothetical calculation and you're right, the page displayed for print out looks to be exactly the same whether you are putting in a future date or today's date. If you signed the document on a future date (and made sure your web browser didn't add the actual date to your printout) then I don't see how the agent could know (or care?) you'd signed it with a future date other than the application would be marked arrived the same day it was signed.

As for the courier service, I don't know where you are but it looks like for us on the west coast 3 business days is probably the best possible - as far as I can tell the main courier services don't do next day for such a long distance.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Dave01 said:
. . . The day you sign your package would be the last day counted towards your 1095 days. So you cant send before June 29 in this scenario.

DvsP said:
MUFC answered this directly, and sufficiently. The application cannot be signed until, at the soonest, the day after meeting the qualifications. The last day that can count toward the 1095 days is, thus, the day before the date the application is signed.

As for sending off a post-dated application:

(1) CIC policy is to treat post-dated applications as if unsigned.

(2) CIC keeps the entire package in which the application is submitted. Applicants who have obtained copies of their cases via the ATIP process routinely report that a photocopy of the package, including mailing information, is part of the record. In other words, CIC looks at and compares the information on the outside of the package with information in the package, like place the package is mailed from, and in particular to compare date of mailing with date of signature. How strictly CIC has done this in the past is something I don't think any of us can say . . . but it is easy to predict that as the deadline approaches for the new provisions to take effect, CIC will indeed be closely scrutinizing this detail.

(3) Credibility, credibility, credibility. Not a good idea to create a paper trail showing your willingness to falsely sign a document. To be clear, signing a citizenship application is not like post-dating a check. The date a check is signed reflects the date the check should become negotiable. The date a citizenship application is signed is an affirmation that is the day it is signed. There are many documents in life for which post-dating is a routine. Government documents, however, are usually not of this sort, the date of the signature representing the signor's affirmation that is the date the document is signed.

Reminder: if CIC ascertains the application was post-dated, it treats the application as unsigned, which means it will be returned to the applicant as an incomplete application.

For the record: I do not know, but I believe that among reasons CIC retains the original packaging for the application is that may also examine it to discern if an undisclosed assistant was involved in preparing and submitting the application. It is not as if this is about applying for a discount coupon. CIC does do some due diligence in scrutinizing applications.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
marcus66502 said:
I know it's risky to apply with no margin, and I'm not saying I've made my final decision on this. I have about four months to do that, during which time I'm collecting all the required documents to make sure I have a complete package ready to be sent off on June 3rd, if need be.

What I'm saying is that I just don't trust this government. And when I say I don't trust them I mean that I don't even trust what they say when they do say something at long last. I've seen them change their word and go back on their word so many times in the course of my applications that they've lost any shred of trust a normal person could have.

Ease of travel advantages of a Canadian passport aside, I actually have plans to seek a career with the federal government. Based on my qualifications, I've been told my odds are decent. But, needless to say, you need to be a citizen for that, and so having to wait an extra year pushes those plans back an extra year.
You are obviously keeping track of as much information as practically feasible, and are prepared to make an informed decision (well, as informed as any of us can be, and subject to whether the order, by the Governor in Council, precedes the date ordered by much) when the time comes. That's the best anyone can do.

While this government has acted with disdain, if not contempt, in the realm of communicating to the public, it is nonetheless a government operating within the rule of law. In many, if not in most regards the government can be trusted, and in particular it can be trusted to apply and follow the rule of law.

In particular, this government's informal communications are often highly suspect, some deliberately misleading (like then Minister Jason Kenney's characterization of the termination of the parent sponsorship program as a "temporary pause" in processing -- it was over two years before the terminated program was replaced by a different and more stringent program). Thus, yes, for example last June's announcement that the new residency requirements would take effect in "approximately a year" offers very little information to rely upon.

But, once the Governor in Council actually makes the order as to the date the new provisions come into force, that will be the day. That will be something prospective applicants can rely on. Of course the questions are:

(1) how far in advance of the effective date will the order be made (provisions ordered to take effect last August 1st were so ordered, by the Governor in Council, on July 31st and not published in the Gazette until weeks later, so the first effective public notice was later in the day August 1st when CIC published the news online)

(2) and the big one: what will that date be

For those, like you, on-the-cusp, as the decision-days approach it will be a good idea to daily (twice daily maybe, morning and evening) check the CIC website links to news and notices, and to periodically check the Gazette to see if the order has been published, and of course to follow news in the media and forums as well.

bananaman said:
I've been eagerly following this thread pretty much since it started because I will reach 1095 days on May 27th. Given this date is a Wednesday, if the bill were to come into force on June 1st, I'd only have two working days to get it there in time - by May 29th (last working day before Jun 1st). A brief look at UPS/Fedex etc. and this looks pretty much impossible because I'm in the west, short of flying to Nova Scotia myself which won't be possible for family reasons.

Given the decision to make on applying with exactly 1095 days is whether there are any mistakes on your record of exiting and re-entering Canada versus whether they bring the rule into force with little or no notice, wouldn't it be prudent for all of us on the cusp to request our records from Ports of Entry now? That way we can either attempt to get mistakes rectified before the all-important time, or just wait the extra number of days so we have 1095 days according to the record too?

At least I thought I read somewhere that it was possible to request POE records?
Yes, you can obtain a copy of your CBSA entry history, and for some that could be of assistance in confirming at least entry into Canada dates. This is ATIP request to CBSA and I believe (have not been following this aspect in a while now) there is a form available, and that it takes around a month. It will not necessarily be complete, but its date are almost always (so far as reports go) accurate . . . but again, mistakes are a part of real life.

Similar record can be obtained from the U.S., for entries into the U.S. (thus reflecting any exits from Canada when traveling to the U.S.), but I do not know the current procedure. When I did that, it took around a year (I requested the records months before applying for citizenship and did not get them until a long while after I had become a citizen), but I have seen anecdotal reports suggesting that the U.S. has had a better response time recently.

Of course, the best, the most complete and accurate records, are those kept by a PR who was carefully keeping such records. That does not mean CIC will be given totally accurate information from other sources.

My sense is that the risk of errors in this vein are low for any applicant who kept complete records for himself or herself and who accurately declares all trips. But there is always some risk.

And many applicants who believe they reported accurately have made errors. A perfect submission is, well, perfect, no problem. But . . . one common mistake some have made is to overlook that the entry into Canada was actually after midnight, so the absence was for another day. Another error arises when applicants rely on passport entry stamps in a destination country to declare a date of exit from Canada, which stamps are sometimes the next day (red-eye flights) or can even be two days later (red-eye flight west to western Pacific destination), thus failing to report the day, or two, additional absence (due to having actually exited Canada the day, or two, earlier than the date reflected in the entry stamp). Day trips to the U.S. that slipped past midnight before the return to Canada are another common source of error. And of course many simply forgot this or that brief trip to the U.S.

But the idea of applying with a margin is not entirely about covering the possibility of mistakes. Sure, the current emphasis on meeting the technical minimum threshold of presence puts more importance on making sure any deduction from the calculation as submitted does not result in a shortfall. But there is also the appearance factor, or looking at it from the other side of the issue, the suspect factor. Think about it: think about what sort of impression is made by an applicant applying based on barely meeting the minimum requirements. Bureaucrats are people too. Total strangers, total strangers trying to assess the credibility and completeness and accuracy of just some selected information, relying on just a slice of information about the applicant's life. While they mostly operate according to policy, practice, and specified criteria (contrary to the assertions of some, subjective judgment probably plays a rather small role), overall impressions can, and sometimes will, affect their judgment. For those applicants cutting it real, real close, it is obvious, they cut it real, real close, and sometimes this can invite some doubt, if not a measure of skepticism.

Just some things to think about and be aware about. Problem is that this year, for those on-the-cusp, there is so little room to maneuver.

As I said, the fair thing for this government to do would be to give at least five or six weeks advance notice. I tend to agree with marcus66502 on this one, that this government cannot be trusted to do the fair thing . . . not by wide margin. But, my sense and hope is that this government will not be so blatantly unfair that it fails to give at least a week or two advance notice. I understand why many do not trust the government to do even this, to even have some semblance of decency, some consideration for impact their decisions have on the lives of real people, Canadians (PRs are Canadians, Canadian Permanent Residents to be precise).

Regarding reaching the 1095 day threshold as of a date like May 27.

I feel your pain. Most bets seem to be on July 1st being the date. That's my second bet. My first bet is indeed June 1st. (Just a bet, no inside information whatsoever, no authorative source of information, mostly my first guess, with July 1st being a very, very close second. It could be May 1st, or September 1st. And I doubt that even CIC personnel, even those in higher-up positions, know at this stage, that they know any more than anyone here.)

Remember: The qualified applicant must meet the requirements as of the day before the application is signed and submitted.

And the application must be received by CIC on or before the last working day before the date the new provisions come into force.

So, sure, there will be dozens if not hundreds of PRs cutoff by the specific date itself, by a margin of just one day. But that will happen no matter which date it happens. Whatever the day is, there will be many who could have met the current requirements if only the effective day was one day later.

IMPORTANT REMINDER: Be sure to be absolutely meticulous in preparing the application, certain to include all required information and documentation. As of last August 1st, there is no room to argue about the date a returned application was "made." Applications returned as incomplete are not made, and will not be made unless and until a complete application is sent and received at CIC.

In the rush to get an application submitted, some are bound to overlook something. Make sure the photos meet the specifications. Make sure there are no gaps in address or work history. Make sure educational records are properly included. And so on. Some will slip and suffer the pain of having sent the application off in time, only to get it back and miss the deadline to beat the new residency requirement.

This is especially true for anyone applying in the next few months. While it appears that CIC has improved its timeline for returning applications it deems incomplete, there are many anecdotal reports of it sometimes being months later, after sending the application off. Last thing an applicant wants to see is his application sent off in March arrive as returned two days before the new provisions come into force, not enough time to get the application re-submitted to beat the new law.

2015canadian

Jul 15, 2014
Dear Friends:

Sorry for my ignorance. I have one simple question:
In the Residence Calculator one has to mention Absence 'From' and 'To' Dates.

My question is in form on an example: If I left Canada on the 12th afternoon and came back on the 29th evening, would the
'From' date be 13th and 'To' date be 28th .

Thanks in advance.
2015cad