+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dubai, U.A.E ... Current Country of Residence: STATUS in country

couplefromDubai

Star Member
Aug 4, 2020
Hi there!

I am being sponsored by my wife who is a Canadian citizen and we live in Dubai together.

What am I supposed to put for Current Country of Residence STATUS in country. The options I am confused over are: Permanent Resident, Other, Foreign National

My situation: I have a residence visa which I get renewed every two years since 1993 (since no one has a permanent visa here). I am a Partner in a business here and my residence visa is attached to that company and I am my wife's sponsor in Dubai. I have done ALL my schooling in Dubai and lived here since I was a child but we all still have to renew our visas every 2- or 3 years just like everyone else and no expat can get citizenship here or permanent residency no matter how long they have lived here.

They ask this status question on two forms: Current Country of Residence IMM0008 ( Generic application form) ; and imm5669 under Personal Work history.

In the imm0008 if you select Other there is an option to write more details about it so it works, but in imm5669 under Personal History there isn't a section to explain what the 'other' means so it might look strange that I have no status in the country so I'm worried. Obviously there needs to be consistency across forms?

Thanks for your help!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I am facing the same issue now.
What did you select that time for your wife and kids please.
It's up to you - I think IRCC people have an idea what's going on with respect to foreigners living/working in UAE. I'd put foreign national and explain (briefly) with a letter of explanation. I don't expect putting it as PR with the letter of explanation would cause any problem. Most of the rest will be obvious from the other forms you fill in; again, if you think you need to clarify somethig, short letter of explanation.

Letters of explanation: short, concise, factual. You don't need to epxlain basic concepts to them, not write a novel. Wouldn't need to be that much different than what the original poster wrote (but more specifics like dates).