+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dual citizenship (with country that does not recognise dual)

betelnut

Nov 29, 2015
Hi there,

Assisting my relative with applying for Canadian citizenship. She received her oath date but she's now having second thoughts about acquiring the citizenship because our country of origin does not recognize dual citizenship.

Would it be possible for my relative to enter Canada in the future using a foreign passport? Can she apply for an ETA?
Since she has been entering Canada using her PR card all this while... would the Canadian authorities be able to tell from her recently renewed Malaysian passport (there's no more PR visa stick or stamps) that she was formerly a PR?

Any advice on how to overcome this problem?
She does not want to give up on her original citizenship as she has elderly parents living back home?

[Edit] If my relative decides not to proceed with the oath, she is wondering if she would be blacklisted for future applications for PR renewal?

Thanks all!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
As long as she meets the residency obligation she can remain a PR forever. There's no need to become a citizen.

Mm71

Mar 11, 2015
I agree with previous poster. Just stay as PR. You don't have to become citizen. Just keep renewing PR every five year and you are good.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
There is a difference between "not recognizing" dual citizenship and "prohibiting" it. For example, USA does not recognize dual citizenship, but does not prohibit it. So, which one is it?

It would be advantageous to take Canadian citizenship as soon as one can, because who knows what will happen in the future?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
links18 said:
There is a difference between "not recognizing" dual citizenship and "prohibiting" it. For example, USA does not recognize dual citizenship, but does not prohibit it. So, which one is it?

It would be advantageous to take Canadian citizenship as soon as one can, because who knows what will happen in the future?
Most countries that "not recognized" dual citizenship does not allow dual citizenship. Malaysia is one of them. If the OP gain canadian citizenship, the OP will lose malaysian citizenship.

If the OP wants to keep Malaysian citizenship, the OP can remain PR as long as she/he wants.

Bigudi

May 22, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-05-2015
AOR Received.
20-07-2015
LANDED..........
08-08-2011
betelnut said:
Hi there,

Assisting my relative with applying for Canadian citizenship. She received her oath date but she's now having second thoughts about acquiring the citizenship because our country of origin does not recognize dual citizenship.

Would it be possible for my relative to enter Canada in the future using a foreign passport? Can she apply for an ETA?
Since she has been entering Canada using her PR card all this while... would the Canadian authorities be able to tell from her recently renewed Malaysian passport (there's no more PR visa stick or stamps) that she was formerly a PR?

Any advice on how to overcome this problem?
She does not want to give up on her original citizenship as she has elderly parents living back home?

[Edit] If my relative decides not to proceed with the oath, she is wondering if she would be blacklisted for future applications for PR renewal?

Thanks all!
I agree with @scylla,
If getting the Canadian citizenship will prove to be a hassle for your friend, and as long as she meets the residency requirements, she is better off being a PR for ever. Or at least her elderly relatives pass away and she feels ready to give up her Malaysian citizenship (if ever).

I am no expert, but I very much doubt that giving up to take the Oath right now would blacklist or even flag your friend for anything here in Canada. I am pretty sure she will have no problem (relate to this) to renew her PR or even re-apply for citizenship in the future if she decides to. But again, I'm no expert and maybe someone else could give us a more educated input on this matter.

Cheers!

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
screech339 said:
Most countries that "not recognized" dual citizenship does not allow dual citizenship. Malaysia is one of them. If the OP gain canadian citizenship, the OP will lose malaysian citizenship.

If the OP wants to keep Malaysian citizenship, the OP can remain PR as long as she/he wants.
Well, then those countries "prohibit" dual citizenship. Maintaining PR status requires meeting residency requirements and keeping out of legal trouble. Can anyone absolutely guarantee they will be able to do this for the rest of their lives? If you want to live in Canada, better to take Canadian citizenship, if it is available to you, IMHO.

InEdm

Star Member
Nov 9, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-06-2010
AOR Received.
20-11-2010
File Transfer...
30-03-2011 Detroit
Med's Request
20-11-2010
Med's Done....
05-12-2010
Passport Req..
18-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
Passport sent..
He/She can always apply for visa to travel, off course proper planning is required and I am not aware how long it takes to get the visa.

Bigudi

May 22, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-05-2015
AOR Received.
20-07-2015
LANDED..........
08-08-2011
links18 said:
Well, then those countries "prohibit" dual citizenship. Maintaining PR status requires meeting residency requirements and keeping out of legal trouble. Can anyone absolutely guarantee they will be able to do this for the rest of their lives? If you want to live in Canada, better to take Canadian citizenship, if it is available to you, IMHO.
That would definitely be my choice. If I had to give up my birth country's citizenship to get the Canadian one, I would make a campfire with my old passports while drinking wine and celebrating. I would not even think twice.
But that's me.

nope

Oct 3, 2015
Though there is such a thing as dual citizenship, this generally only refers to the individual who holds it. Most countries don't recognize dual citizenship -- for instance, when I go to the United States, I am recognized as an American citizen, and the United States doesn't give a fig that I am also (will be soon) a citizen of Canada. That's why I have to use my American passport to enter the country, and vice verse when I return to Canada. I don't think any country really says "Hey, you're our citizen, but you're also someone else's citizen." It's simply whether they prohibit the latter condition or not.

Likewise, when I become a citizen of Canada, Canada will not, I believe, notify the United States (this might not be accurate, but if not, it is because of the close security relationship between the two countries, not because of cooperation on dual citizenship). That's because I'm a Canadian, and it is not the custom of the Canadian government to spontaneously give information about its citizens to foreign powers -- in other words, Canada won't recognize that my American citizenship creates any obligations on its part. If my original citizenship was from a country that did not permit multiple citizenships, such as India, Canada would not notify New Delhi that I was out of obligation with Indian citizenship law -- I would be a Canadian, and Indian citizenship law is irrelevant to how Canada treats its own citizens.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
nope said:
Though there is such a thing as dual citizenship, this generally only refers to the individual who holds it. Most countries don't recognize dual citizenship -- for instance, when I go to the United States, I am recognized as an American citizen, and the United States doesn't give a fig that I am also (will be soon) a citizen of Canada. That's why I have to use my American passport to enter the country, and vice verse when I return to Canada. I don't think any country really says "Hey, you're our citizen, but you're also someone else's citizen." It's simply whether they prohibit the latter condition or not.

Likewise, when I become a citizen of Canada, Canada will not, I believe, notify the United States (this might not be accurate, but if not, it is because of the close security relationship between the two countries, not because of cooperation on dual citizenship). That's because I'm a Canadian, and it is not the custom of the Canadian government to spontaneously give information about its citizens to foreign powers -- in other words, Canada won't recognize that my American citizenship creates any obligations on its part. If my original citizenship was from a country that did not permit multiple citizenships, such as India, Canada would not notify New Delhi that I was out of obligation with Indian citizenship law -- I would be a Canadian, and Indian citizenship law is irrelevant to how Canada treats its own citizens.
Canada will not tell the US when you become a Canadian citizen, but you will be required to tell the US the next time you apply for a US passport. It really doesn't matter though--as long as you did not intend to give up your US citizenship when you acquired Canadian (or another) citizenship--you are still a US citizen. Both countries are supposed to start sharing entry/exit data on their citizens with one another at some point--which could have ramifications for taxes and qualifying for certain benefits that are based on residency rather than citizenship.