abedelia

Star Member
Oct 7, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, but I'm in the process of immigrating in the family class, so hoping one of you can help me.

I was recently issued my PR visa and I am planning to land officially in Canada in January. I also have a temporary work permit so I live in Canada but I have not imported my car yet (I will do this when I land).

I need to travel to the US for a couple of weeks but I want to leave my (US registered) car in Canada. I would like my husband to drive me to the US and return to Canada with the car. He says he will not be able to drive the car without me back into Canada because it's got US plates and he has a Quebec driver's license. If we were able to do this, I would need him to be able to also drive the car back into the US by himself in order to pick me up 2 weeks later.

Is there any way I can arrange for this to be possible with a little prior planning? I understand that part of the concern is stolen cars being trafficked across the border? Is it possible for me to write a notarized letter or something to the effect of this being my car and I'm authorizing my husband to drive it across the border? Or is this just, for these purposes, impossible? I should note that he is named on my (US) insurance policy, for what it is worth.

Thanks!

plumosa

May 27, 2010
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04/03/2010
AOR Received.
17/06/2010
File Transfer...
10/05/2010
Med's Done....
30/11/2009
Interview........
waived-letter dated 27/07/2010
Passport Req..
20/09/2010
VISA ISSUED...
28/09/2010
LANDED..........
28/09/2010
abedelia said:
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, but I'm in the process of immigrating in the family class, so hoping one of you can help me.

I was recently issued my PR visa and I am planning to land officially in Canada in January. I also have a temporary work permit so I live in Canada but I have not imported my car yet (I will do this when I land).

I need to travel to the US for a couple of weeks but I want to leave my (US registered) car in Canada. I would like my husband to drive me to the US and return to Canada with the car. He says he will not be able to drive the car without me back into Canada because it's got US plates and he has a Quebec driver's license. If we were able to do this, I would need him to be able to also drive the car back into the US by himself in order to pick me up 2 weeks later.

Is there any way I can arrange for this to be possible with a little prior planning? I understand that part of the concern is stolen cars being trafficked across the border? Is it possible for me to write a notarized letter or something to the effect of this being my car and I'm authorizing my husband to drive it across the border? Or is this just, for these purposes, impossible? I should note that he is named on my (US) insurance policy, for what it is worth.

Thanks!
I would suggest stopping by the Canadian side before crossing into the US and see if you can get any information out of them. There will be a place to stop for exporting goods outside of Canada, though it might be hard to see or nonexistent in small border crossings. If you bring along a letter of intent and your marriage certificate, you might be able to get them to sign it showing that they are aware of the situation. In the letter I would include when you are leaving Canada and approximately when he will be driving the car back through and at what crossing. The more info the better!

I think that since he is on your US insurance policy that all of this will enable him to have little to no hassles. I've had zero issues with multiple entries driving my mother's car across the border and we don't even have the same last name. The most they ask of me is who's car is it and I say her name.