+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Driver's License catch 22, help?

mysticdaisy

Mar 13, 2017
Hi, I have lived here on a work permit for 2 years.

I have a US driver's license, but have never had to own a car here or had any reason to drive. I have used public transportation my entire time in Canada.

There's a good chance I need to get back home now soon, which will require renting a van to move my belongings back home to the US...

But then I find out that apparently my US license isn't valid now?! Even though it's valid for years still written on it, BC apparently doesn't care and after 90 days or something just stops believing I can drive? Okay, that makes little sense, and I had no reason to have ever checked that earlier, but sure sure whatever fine, I go down to the driver licensing center in Canada to swap it out for a BC license just for this trip. Then the people at the driver's center tell me they can't do that since my visa has less than 6 months left on it.... .... .... what?

What am I supposed to do, then? They won't let me drive on a US license, but also won't let me get a BC license!! I have a whole apartment worth of belongings. I have a dog with health issues that probably can't travel by plane. I need to be able to drive a van to the border soon.

(I have zero violations or anything. Ever. Perfectly safe driver.)

Last edited:

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
so how did the rental company determine you lived in Canada long enough for them to determine you need a BC license? Try booking on line and give them aN address where you are moving in the US. When you go and pick it up, use your US license and passport. Rental company won't know where you lived. Your license is still valid in the US if it hasn't been exchanged. They want you to exchange it, but I can't see how they can enforce it. The law only says you can't have more than one license in your name.

mysticdaisy

Mar 13, 2017
Hi thanks. I haven't talked to a rental agency yet. I'll keep your advice in mind, but that's not the main / only problem. Nor is driving in the US--you're correct that it's perfectly valid for driving there. But the main problem is I can't drive through Canada from the rental place to the border (and at the border where they may likely ask for a license), since I have no possible way to get a valid Canadian license that I know of.

Last edited: