+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do students with advanced standing pay the full tuition?

raju12w

Star Member
Jun 30, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
29-08-2012
--So I was wondering if I'd have to pay for all 4 semesters if I receive an advanced standing of 3 semesters and get enrolled in the final semester?

I was looking at a 4 semester General arts and Science program which i plan to pursue after finishing my current 1 year post secondary program

Thank you!

raju12w

Star Member
Jun 30, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
29-08-2012
Never mind, I found out that you pay what you enroll into

Thank you

dddanny2006

Mar 31, 2014
Hi Raju,

People have done that at George Brown and St Lawrence college and got 3 year workpermits.

Could you please advice me here:

1.)1Year PG Certificate +1year PG certificate=How many years workpermit?

Different people say different things,some say they look at the latest credential and give 1 year.Some say they give 3 year work permit.Im confused,can you please tell me from what you know.

Also,how does one get fast track entry into Semester 3 of the Arts and Science program,Im an engineer by the way.

Thank you

raju12w

Star Member
Jun 30, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
29-08-2012
1. I'd say with confidence that a 3 year PGWP would be issued.

2. As per my limited knowledge, if you pursue a 1 year PG diploma, it provides with advanced standing so as the credits get transferred to the

General Arts and Science program of 2 years and hopefully you get an exemption so as to jump into the final(4th) semester. I'd like to clarify that

I may be wrong at this and so you must consult other reliable sources.

Based on what you said, I suppose you're looking for a 3 year PGWP and it happens that I stumbled across a good post yesterday which I'd like to share:

Thanks to tiger007 for this post:

Hi,

Honestly... Unless you have a skilled job offer right now (or by the time you get PGWP), 1 year can fall short... before you get PNP nomination.

If you have completed 1 year PG certificate at a Ontario college, (have min. 3 years graduation from your native country), doing just another 1 Sem/4 months course, i.e final Sem of 2 years General Arts and Sci foundation, will give you enough credit points for a 3 years PGWP. This way people get 3 years PGWP , after studying for only 12 months (8 months/2 sem PG certificate+1 final sem/4 months foundation) in Ontario. Conestoga college and St. Clair college...I've heard students are pursuing it..but I cannot say for sure..if this works for real or not, although.. I'm sure there's some rule like this in Ontario. You can confirm about it... and try to find out. IF this really exists..then DO NOT APPLY for PGWP now.. rather..somehow..do this 4 months course..and then... apply for PGWP. You will then get 2-3 years PGWP for sure, provided this rule is still in place. You need to do thorough research and only go ahead when you are sure about it. I warn.. ONLY go ahead..if you are 100% sure about it... at your own risk.

2nd option will be.. If you can, join another 1 year course, preferably a higher credit PG diploma course (assuming you have studied business related PG course at GBC) such as 1 year PG diploma in IB (not 30-35 credit PG certificate, but a 60 credit PG diploma) at RRC, Winnipeg, Manitoba starting May 2013, provided seats are vacant..or else join another course at GBC. The reason being, with a higher credit PG diploma, you may have some chance of getting a 3 years PGWP, or else.. doing another 1 year PG certificate at GBC/any Ontario college will surely give you a 2 years PGWP, if not 3.

So, with above 2 options... You'll 've a 2-3 years PGWP.. and get enough time, to go to Sask./Manitoba/other province and work for 6-12 months..and apply for PNP.

3rd option will be to go to Quebec, get admission in some practical 1 year DVS/vocational diploma (duration varies from 900hours to 975 hours (both known as 1 year courses or actual 8 months of study) to 1095 hours to 1350 hours (both known as 1.5 years courses or actual 13 months of study) , which gives atleast 12-16 points for area of training, learn French side by side (atleast till A2 level in 1 year), improve IELTS score.. and then... 1 can easily get 55 points overall, and qualify for direct Quebec CSQ under regular student stream, provided you meet all criteria. Usually these vocational courses in other secondary colleges, are not participating in Off campus WP scheme, and hence no OFF campus WP...but you anyways, never made use of it. So..this is a easy way of staying in Montreal, studying a vocational diploma for 1 year, learning French/clearing DELF A2 level exam..scoring 55 points... sure-shot PR. To know more about courses which gets high points under Area of training see:
http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/publications/en/diverses/list-training.pdf (see the secondary level vocational training). this is best for PR, not employer dependent..no need to work for any duration..but having validated job offer will ofcurse give you more points. usually those with very good language skills(who can get full/high points under language proficiency) should definitely pursue it. If you want more info/idea on this, I can give you all details and links to official/info sites.

Now, if you cannot study another course, under any circumstances.... then.... this is what you do:

For you to have best chances of PR..you need time. So, do not apply for PGWP now. I hope..you know..that for getting a PGWP..you have a 90 days grace period.... so..delay applying for PGWP... for atleast 1 month.... So..now you have 1 month extra..to find jobs. Then.. you have basically 2 options:
1. Best will be for you to rush to Nova Scotia province. They accept certain NOC -C level jobs such as call center workers etc. There, one needs to work for ONLY 3 months, and the processing time is max 2 months, so there...even if you say 1 month grace time+another month you find a full time NOC C level job... you can still get PNP nomination in 5-6 month's time! Fastest way. Consult a local immig. lawyer and visit/drop ur CV to as many recruitment agencies in Nova Scotia.. go to bigger cities such as Halifax or Sydney..and immediately start your job hunting.
OR
2. Immediately move to Manitoba, and start job hunting, drop CV everywhere/recruitment agencies etc. There if you can find ANY full time job, hopefully within 1-2 months (including 1 month grace) time. Apply for PGWP... then working in that job for 6 months, you can then file your MPNP nomination. The processing time MAY take longer..but usually it should be within remaining 6 months.

It's usually easier to find jobs..if you know people..your frnds/seniors/your community people..who are working there...

Last but not the least... I again don't reccomend nor can be sure about it..-- there r recruitment agencies..which will get you a job (skilled or any job ..say in Manitoba or some NOC C or some skilled job in Nova Scotia or anywhere) for a price (and again not to mention... at your own risk you pay). As we all know..desperate times calls for desperate measures.

The above post was found out by me on this forum

dddanny2006

Mar 31, 2014
Thanks Raju.

I have another doubt here ok.I had applied for a 2 year course and await visa for the same at the moment.I want to change my course to a 1 year program and will request it to be done before entering Canada.Now,if I get my 2 year Study permit for my existing program then do I need to tell the Immigration Officer about this at the port of entry?

What documents do they ask at the port of entry?

Thanks