+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do not have an Option C print out and notice of assessment yet...

Digvijay Gaur

Aug 17, 2017
Hello,
I needed your expert opinion on the issue I am currently facing with regards to spousal sponsorship. I recently got married and wish to sponsor my spouse who is currently in her country ( India). I hold Canadian PR and this year would be my first time filing taxes. I have all the other documents ready and I am told that the first timer tax filers have to file the taxes via paper filing and it takes about 16 weeks for the CRA to evaluate and send the notice of assessment and a subsequent Option C. It will be an unnecessary delay in the application and I wanted to know your opinion on any alternate ways to overcome this scenario.

Thanks in advance.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello,
I needed your expert opinion on the issue I am currently facing with regards to spousal sponsorship. I recently got married and wish to sponsor my spouse who is currently in her country ( India). I hold Canadian PR and this year would be my first time filing taxes. I have all the other documents ready and I am told that the first timer tax filers have to file the taxes via paper filing and it takes about 16 weeks for the CRA to evaluate and send the notice of assessment and a subsequent Option C. It will be an unnecessary delay in the application and I wanted to know your opinion on any alternate ways to overcome this scenario.

Thanks in advance.
Straight from the checklist:

If you cannot provide a Notice of Assessment or a proof of income statement (Option C) for the most recent taxation year, you must provide an explanation on a separate sheet of paper, accompanied by relevant supporting financial documentation to show how you can support the person(s) you are sponsoring.

sidpadki

Star Member
Oct 16, 2019
Straight from the checklist:

If you cannot provide a Notice of Assessment or a proof of income statement (Option C) for the most recent taxation year, you must provide an explanation on a separate sheet of paper, accompanied by relevant supporting financial documentation to show how you can support the person(s) you are sponsoring.
What could be a good alternative if we dont have Option C to show since I am also in first year of residency here in Canada. What docuementation should i attach with letter of explanation to show I can support my dependent child who i want sponsor

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
What could be a good alternative if we dont have Option C to show since I am also in first year of residency here in Canada. What docuementation should i attach with letter of explanation to show I can support my dependent child who i want sponsor
Payslips seems a rather obvious answer.

sidpadki

Star Member
Oct 16, 2019
Payslips seems a rather obvious answer.
Thanks for reply

I also came across that Financial evaluation is not required if we are sponsoring our own dependent child. So can we still skip this requirement or upload the pay stubs in place of proof of income statement

I am unable to obtain proof of income as I dont have a CRA account yet and its not allowing me to create a account with my SIN. Not sure, if can create a CRA account only after having filed atleast one tax filing. This is my first year in Canada

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks for reply

I also came across that Financial evaluation is not required if we are sponsoring our own dependent child. So can we still skip this requirement or upload the pay stubs in place of proof of income statement

I am unable to obtain proof of income as I dont have a CRA account yet and its not allowing me to create a account with my SIN. Not sure, if can create a CRA account only after having filed atleast one tax filing. This is my first year in Canada
I would read the instructions and do that.

I believe for dependent children it asks for some basic evidence that you can support the child. Usually providing basic info like NOA is enough. A short letter of explanation and a copy of payslip should be enough. If your end of year payslip provides a total for the year, that may be enough. Or one or two payslips with the letter of explanation.

Note I did not say "the paystubs" in the sense of all of them. Show some evidence and let them ask for more if they wish to.

But again: start with the instructions.

sidpadki

Star Member
Oct 16, 2019
I would read the instructions and do that.

I believe for dependent children it asks for some basic evidence that you can support the child. Usually providing basic info like NOA is enough. A short letter of explanation and a copy of payslip should be enough. If your end of year payslip provides a total for the year, that may be enough. Or one or two payslips with the letter of explanation.

Note I did not say "the paystubs" in the sense of all of them. Show some evidence and let them ask for more if they wish to.

But again: start with the instructions.
I can show the letter of employment which states my designation , annual salary and time since employment. I believe paystubs and pay slips are all the same and i can probably last three pat stubs along with LOE. Do note my payslips are processed bi-weekly

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I can show the letter of employment which states my designation , annual salary and time since employment. I believe paystubs and pay slips are all the same and i can probably last three pat stubs along with LOE. Do note my payslips are processed bi-weekly
Letter of employment and one recent pay stub will probably be enough.