+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I Qualify Under the Citizenship Act C-37?

dan1324

Jun 21, 2010
I was wondering if anyone could give me their opinion on my situation:

My grandmother was born in Canada in 1922, and moved to the US in 1937. I believe she didn't naturalize until after my father turned 18.
My father was born in the US in 1949, but has never done anything to register his birth or retain citizenship.
I was born in the US in 1988, am not 28 yet, and also have not done anything to retain my citizenship.

My understanding is that my father is now a Canadian citizen retroactively to his birth. That should mean that my parent was a citizen at the time of my birth, and that now, since the new law repealed the requirement to retain citizenship by age 28, I become a citizen automatically too.

However, I heard that if my father also became a citizen under C-37, then I wouldn't become a citizen.

If anyone could straighten this out for me it would be greatly appreciated,
Dan

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Talk to the Canadian embassy about what you have to do. You can also look at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof.asp Maybe you and your father can both apply for your citizenship certificates together. I believe that your father has claim to citizenship but I am not sure if you do.