+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need to submit supporting documents to prove residency obligation for PRTD?

mellow105

Sep 21, 2023
I became PR this year but have been back in my home country for less than 150 days. I am currently trying to return to Canada while my PR card application is still being processed by applying for a PRTD. According to Section 5.5 of the IMM 5444, I appear to meet the residency requirements as I have not been away for long. However, in "Appendix A: Residency obligation" of Guide 5529, it states "if you have been a permanent resident for less than five (5) years, you must show that you WILL be able to meet the minimum of 730 days of physical presence in Canada within five (5) years of the date you became a permanent resident". Right underneath, it follows up with examples of supporting documents that can be provided to show that I meet the residency obligation such as employment records, pay stubs, bank statements, etc.

I did some digging on this site and I have seen a couple users say that only those who have been abroad for 1095 days or more will have to provide documents. Is this true or will I have to provide them to show that I will be able to meet the residency obligation of being in Canada for 730 days within 5 years of becoming PR?