+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need additional private insurace with RAMQ?

frasts

Aug 23, 2017
Hi all,

I am moving to Quebec soon and will sign up for RAMQ health insurance. After the 3 months when I'll take a private insurance, will I still need a supplement to the basic RAMQ coverage?
I do not need prescriptions and do not have any special condition that would require me to visit doctors or get treatments regularly.

I was wondering about dental insurance too, mostly because sometimes my wisdom teeth gums swell and as I understand pain relief or eventually removal would not be covered by RAMQ.

Thanks!

Steevy

May 31, 2014
Vancouver
You are not required to have a supplemental insurance to your RAMQ, but if are worried about the costs for dental care, etc. then you may want to look for an extended health benefits plan.

The best ones would be provided by an employer, while individual private health and/or dental insurance is less appealing in terms of how much coverage you get during the first 2 or 3 years of using it. Yet, it is still tax-deductible. You can do a bit of research to see what's on the market, so you can make an informed decision on whether or not to buy it. Sometimes it is cheaper just to pay for the services out-of-pocket.

While you are awaiting your RAMQ coverage, the type of health insurance you are considering getting is slightly different from a supplemental health insurance plan. Visitors and newcomers to Canada can get insured with a medical emergency plan to cover the costs for treating unexpected sicknesses, injuries and accidents alike.

In terms of emergency insurance, there are plenty of available options from different providers. You can check most of them here and get an instant quote online - Temporary Medical Insurance

frasts

Aug 23, 2017
Thanks, I have already signed up for the temporary medical insurance for the first three months.
As I receive a fellowship from abroad, I do not get supplemental health insurance from an employer, but I will look into an individual dental one or pay out of pocket in case I need any dental treatment.
What are more or less the costs for a checkup visit without insurance?
Thanks!

Xirconium

Aug 21, 2017
Thanks, I have already signed up for the temporary medical insurance for the first three months.
As I receive a fellowship from abroad, I do not get supplemental health insurance from an employer, but I will look into an individual dental one or pay out of pocket in case I need any dental treatment.
What are more or less the costs for a checkup visit without insurance?
Thanks!
For Dental, in BC a new patient examination and X-rays can be between $150-200, depending on what type of X-rays are needed. If you are also needing a cleaning, that can add $175-$200 as an average amount for an adult (this is the plaque removal part called scaling and root planing, polishing surface stains and fluoride)

Betula

Aug 30, 2017
Category........
QSW
In Quebec you MUST have an additional prescription drug plan at all times because the basic RAMQ does not cover it. http://www.ramq.gouv.qc.ca/en/citizens/prescription-drug-insurance/Pages/description.aspx

Even if you are not taking any regular medicine, you still must have it.

Your options are:
1) group insurance plan from your employer, if offered (usually contains extended health and dental too)
2) private insurance
3) if you are not eligible for either, RAMQ Prescription Drug Plan.

However, 3) is not tax deductible if I remember correctly, because you usually pay for it with your taxes (that's how it was for me, the tax program asks me for how many months was I eligible for employer/private insurance). It is expensive. My yearly salary is in the 40k range, and my provincial prescription drug plan would cost me around 700 CAD. Whereas you can get a private extended health plan for about 80 CAD a month and it includes dental etc. as well.

vishalverma023

Sep 14, 2016
Hi Guys,

so a friend of mine is currently living in Montreal and he got his PR from express as his company is based out of Ontario. Please advise if he will be able to get the health card from quebec as RAMQ is asking for CSQ.

Thanks

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Hi Guys,

so a friend of mine is currently living in Montreal and he got his PR from express as his company is based out of Ontario. Please advise if he will be able to get the health card from quebec as RAMQ is asking for CSQ.

Thanks
Its a bit old but still answering in case its useful.

You left some detail out about the detail of your friend's PR landing. Since he got PR via express entry (i assume it was non Quebec, Federal program which means he showed intent to live outside of Quebec).

If his circumstances have changed AFTER landing in another province and he now has moved to Quebec then he doesn't need a CSQ to get health care. It is similar to say if i who lives in another province, move tomorrow to Quebec to live there. I wont be asked for a CSQ for health card. But obviously they would exchange my other province card with RAMQ (Quebec's one).

So if your friend actually landed in Quebec while telling them that he doesn't intend to live in Quebec and employer is in Ontario (and he would move there) then he needs to live in Ontario and get health card from there.