+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I have a visitor record? Is it a problem?

gidireich

Jun 2, 2012
Hi,

I entered Canada as a visitor, to take an informal course.

The immigration officer asked me a lot of questions and told me he believes I came to stay. I was referred to an admissibility hearing, where - 2 month later - the judge let me in. The CBSA guys stamped my passport for 6 month, with the ending date written under the stamp. The 6 month are about to end soon and I am thinking of applying for an extension, to continue with some further courses at the same place.

Does what I described above mean I was given a "visitor record"? I saw it being mentioned here in the forums, but didn't really understand what it is. Does it somehow limit my ability to extend my status? Do they expect me to report with them at the airport by this date?
Non of this was told me explicitly, but surfing here I started to think that maybe this is what actually happened with them putting a date under the stamp.

Thanks!!

NBaker

Oct 23, 2011
A visitor's record is an actual document placed in your passport, not just a stamp. You describe having been stamped in with a specific date of departure included to clarify the 6 month standard entry allowed if no date is expressly noted with a stamp in a passport.

Were you to have a visitor's record it would need to be turned in at the Port of Exit and would show that you are required to depart Canada by a particular date.

You may certainly submit an application to seek to have your status extended and need to do so a minimum of 30 days prior to the expiration of your currently allowed time as a visitor. The forms are at the CIC website.

If a decision is not provided before your visitor status ends and you have evidence of having applied to extend then you have implied status until the final decision is made. If extended you will be provided notice. If refused you will be sent notice that you are required to leave Canada failing which your case would be referred for enforcement action.