+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Didnt include common law status at the time of PR application

Sammy3

Star Member
Apr 14, 2015
No, she doesn't need to decline her ITA. She can just update in the actual PR app.
That will be great but when we checked we couldn't do it. When clicking "continue application" in the ITA it takes to the questionnaire where marital status field is now locked. If I remember correctly after this questionnaire it provides the checklist to upload documents and I am not sure I can update it there.

Sammy3

Star Member
Apr 14, 2015
Please stop offering incorrect and dangerously wrong information.

You do not get to decide if common law applies. It applies after the time runs out.

People who do as you advise often find very unfortunate things happen - such as a relationship breakdown where one partner claims for spousal support on the basis off common law and the other partner cannot prove the status didn't apply because it did.
If its legally required we are more than happy to do so. Just our concern is that when I applied in April 2019 I put as single and now when she applies she puts common law since sept 2017, will this cause any trouble for her application and my already approved PR. Both of our application wouldn't make any difference in points or eligibility if we added so I am just worried if CRA thinks I misrepresented when I applied even though it was honest mistake and lack of knowledge about this.
We didn't know common law is as strict like a marriage. Lesson learned now.

Sammy3

Star Member
Apr 14, 2015
I'm gonna put it this way. Don't be silly.

Having a shared address does not imply that that are living in a common law relationship and no-one specially CIC will care.
When you declare a CL relationship, it's because you want to obtain the same benefits or have the same options as a married couple and that is why you have to prove it.

If you're not even looking to get any of this benefits, such as sponsor someone or have them as dependants in your application, it's completely absurd to even think that you need to do so.

Do you think IRCC will go through your address history and then check in their databases for every single person who has lived there to see if the times overlap? That's non sense. Nobody has time for that.
Yes I understand the point you are saying and I was also under the impression that common law is only applicable if you are willing to declare and prove it. But I just want to make sure if its required by law then I have to declare it.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
That will be great but when we checked we couldn't do it. When clicking "continue application" in the ITA it takes to the questionnaire where marital status field is now locked. If I remember correctly after this questionnaire it provides the checklist to upload documents and I am not sure I can update it there.
She can't update her profile. She will update the status in the forms and include a letter of explanation.

Sammy3

Star Member
Apr 14, 2015
She can't update her profile. She will update the status in the forms and include a letter of explanation.
Is this form after submitting application or before? can she enter my name and date of commencement in this form or that should be in the LOE?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Yes I understand the point you are saying and I was also under the impression that common law is only applicable if you are willing to declare and prove it. But I just want to make sure if its required by law then I have to declare it.
It's required. If you are in a relationship and lived together for more than one year, you are common law and must declare it. @Wolfpmd3 has a fundamental misunderstanding of what common law is.

Reactions: Sammy3

Sammy3

Star Member
Apr 14, 2015
It's required. If you are in a relationship and lived together for more than one year, you are common law and must declare it. @Wolfpmd3 has a fundamental misunderstanding of what common law is.
Yes I am going to do that. Will there be any action against my PR which is already approved if my partner declare me as common law now? Do you think IRCC will do something like that?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Is this form after submitting application or before? can she enter my name and date of commencement in this form or that should be in the LOE?
I can't say for sure, having never filled out an EE PR app. I am just going by what others have said in similar situations. Regardless, she should include an LOE in the app.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Yes I am going to do that. Will there be any action against my PR which is already approved if my partner declare me as common law now? Do you think IRCC will do something like that?
No. Historically, IRCC has not taken action against people when they failed to declare a dependent.

Sammy3

Star Member
Apr 14, 2015
I can't say for sure, having never filled out an EE PR app. I am just going by what others have said in similar situations. Regardless, she should include an LOE in the app.
The marital status field is locked and cant be changed anymore. I saw on another post one person suggesting like for eg adding me in the family section as common law and then including a LOE to explain what happened. Do you think this will be a good idea?

Sammy3

Star Member
Apr 14, 2015
The fact that I didn't provide Medical and PCC for my partner since I didn't declare at the time of my PR application. Will this cause any issue now even though my partner is applying herself and not sponsored by me? I just read something similar on another post. Can anyone provide some information here. thanks

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
The fact that I didn't provide Medical and PCC for my partner since I didn't declare at the time of my PR application. Will this cause any issue now even though my partner is applying herself and not sponsored by me? I just read something similar on another post. Can anyone provide some information here. thanks
It should not have a major impact. It would be a major issue if you were sponsoring her.

Apr 14, 2024
Help ‼ urgent
I got invited in recent stem draw, I believe I made a big mistake though, as I now realized that I have been living more than 12 months with my girlfriend, so my status is actually common-law. It's all on me not familiarizing with those terms in the beginning, but assuming to be officially single at that time. Is it now too late to change from single to common-law post-ITA? We are soon getting married, and the idea was to include her in the application after submitting it, when we get the marriage certificate. So, if I continue and submit my application as a single, and I later add her to the application, they will likely find out that we have shared an address since 2021, and I can't imagine this leading to anything good.
. Any advice, how should I proceed to still have a chance at the PR?
Also My score increases with her, currently as single 515 and with her is 520.
What should I do