+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Desperate for some answers to outland vs inland applications

ak470125

Oct 5, 2009
Hi, my fiance and I are in the process of wading through this whole immigration process and are desperate for some help. Our scenario is actually fairly easy and straight forward but for whatever reason, finding clear concise and non-contradicting information is painful so if someone out there can answer us, we'd be forever greatful.

I am a Canadian Citizen born and raised in Canada and still living and working in Canada. My fiance is an American Citizen. Born and raised in the USA, and still lives and works in USA. Due to me having children from my previous marriage, I am not moving to the USA at this time and my fiance has agreed to move up to Canada. Great. Simple. No problem right? Wrong.

My question is ... what is the best way for us to do this? Inland or outland immigration? We have gone completely insane reading the pros and cons of both and because every case is different, it is hard to find answers specific to our case. Seeing as we are not independantly wealthy, he has to continue working in the US until he gets his PR card. Is he allowed to travel back and forth between Canada and the USA (we estimate once a month for a few days at a time) without any issue? Can I travel to the US without a problem (I have children here in Canada as well as a job and have no plans on living in the US at this time). We both have a NEXUS card and do not want to screw that up so what are we "allowed" to say at the border? Can we say we are visiting our spouses or do we have to say we are just visiting a 'friend'.

Does it take less or more time to do outland vs inland?

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If he's going to continue living and working in the US until he receives PR for Canada, then you only have the outland option. It's not available to him if he is not living in Canada. And for US/Canadian marriages, it is definitely faster than inland even if he did qualify.

Don't stress too much. Are you going to get married first or try your luck under the conjugal category?

Doubtful you are going to have issues at the border with your NEXUS cards. With you both working in your respective countries, with family, leases, etc. you have plenty of ties to show border agents.

Take a deep breath and relax. You are going to be ok. You just need to choose which route your are taking. I would advise waiting until you get married to apply. Spousal is easier than conjugal. Just my opinion.

Mariac819

Feb 29, 2012
New York USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept. 10, 2014
Doc's Request.
May 06, 2015 - they lost my relationship proof and FBI clearance. They will accept copy of FBI, I sent in more relationship proof.
AOR Received.
Oct. 23, 2014 (By Phone)
File Transfer...
Oct. 28, 2014 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 25, 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
DM - June 23, 2015 COPR June 24, 2015
LANDED..........
July 12, 2015
I am curious what ended up happening with your situation :)