+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Declaration of Severance of Common Law Relationship?

Kimore

Star Member
Sep 16, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-10-2009
AOR Received.
29-01-2010
File Transfer...
10-Dec-09
Med's Request
09-Feb-2011
Med's Done....
10-11-2009
Interview........
09-Feb-2011
Hello,

I was in a commonlaw relationship for 3yrs. The relationship was disolved over 7yrs now. I am currently married do i need to submit a declaration of severance of common law relationship proof? I am currently married to a wonderful man and would like to start the process of sponsering him. I have no contact with my previous spouse and do not know where he is. If i need that declaration form how do i go about getting it? Any suggestion would help.

Thanks

whoopi83

Aug 17, 2009
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi

Not 100% sure of this; Im sure some seniors like PMM, Rjessome or ariell will answer if they know but, I would imagine that if you are married legally (in Canada perhaps or another country where the recognition of the marriage will not be called in to question) that the common law relationship can be seen to have ended due to the fact that you are legally married.

Questions that spring to mind are, when you were in this common law relationship did you sponsor the partner? If so, are you clear of any financial responsibility that may have accumulated? If you did not sponsor the previous partner, and simply lived together as Canadians in Canada, there doesn't seem to be any logic with declaring the end of that relationship.

amsyul

Oct 14, 2009
I had the same question but found an example after searching a bit on the internet (http://www.canada-city.ca/canada-immigration/posting.php?messageid=8707). Essentially, you write a letter that has the same standard phrases and a similar layout as the "Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union" (IMM5409E) but of course you change the middle part. Your ex does not need to be involved! Then it needs to be certified by a commissioner of oaths. We just went to the town hall (in Montreal, actually the one for our borough) where the receptionist could do it for us after paying $5. But others may do it too.

Here it is -- strategic places marked with (); hope that helps.

STATUTORY DECLARATION OF SEVERANCE OF COMMON-LAW RELATIONSHIP

Province: (province)

In the matter of an application made pursuant to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations and in the matter of common-law union, I, (name), of the city of (city), in the province of (province), do solemnly declare that:

1.The common-law relationship between myself and (name) ended on (date).
2.At no time since our relationship ended have we lived together, nor tried to reconcile the relationship.
3.This declaration is made with the knowledge that it is being relied upon by Immigration Canada and the Canadian Embassy in (city), (country).

I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing it to be true, and knowing that it is of the same force and effect as if made under oath.

Name of Declarant: Signature of Declarant:

Name of Commissioner of Oaths: Signature of Commissioner of Oaths:

Declared before me at the city of (city), in the province of (province), this (number)th day of (month) of the year (year).

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It depends on the Region Specific Guide requirements if you need this or not. If you do, follow the information and example amsyul gave which was great!

Kimore

Star Member
Sep 16, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-10-2009
AOR Received.
29-01-2010
File Transfer...
10-Dec-09
Med's Request
09-Feb-2011
Med's Done....
10-11-2009
Interview........
09-Feb-2011
Thanks a lot for the responses, i really do appreciate it.

JuliaJ

Jan 14, 2011
I am going through a somewhat similar problem - thought I would just continue in this thread.
I was in a common law relationship from 2003 - 2006 with someone.
We never formally declared we were commonlaw but lived together and had a bank account together.

I am now in a 3.5 year common law relationship with an amazing guy, who is sponsoring me to come to Canada.

It is ok for JUST ME to fill out a declaration that I separated from my ex common law partner in 2006?

Or does he need to fill one out too?

Does anyone know? Thanks so much!!

prof456

Star Member
Nov 27, 2009
Actually, it's not the same. The OP is married so her marriage certificate is enough proof and voids any previous common law relationships.

In your case, you have to fill out a declaration since you are in another common law relationship.
JuliaJ said:
I am going through a somewhat similar problem - thought I would just continue in this thread.
I was in a common law relationship from 2003 - 2006 with someone.
We never formally declared we were commonlaw but lived together and had a bank account together.

I am now in a 3.5 year common law relationship with an amazing guy, who is sponsoring me to come to Canada.

It is ok for JUST ME to fill out a declaration that I separated from my ex common law partner in 2006?

Or does he need to fill one out too?

Does anyone know? Thanks so much!!

Sylvie39

Nov 13, 2016
Hi,

So if I understand correctly, if you were in a common-law relationship in the past with someone else and you are now legally married to another person, the marriage certificate would be enough proof to show that the previous union no longer exist?

Thank you for your time.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
Sylvie39 said:
Hi,

So if I understand correctly, if you were in a common-law relationship in the past with someone else and you are now legally married to another person, the marriage certificate would be enough proof to show that the previous union no longer exist?

Thank you for your time.
Actually, CIC told me that you still have to submit the Declaration of Severance of Common Law. Married or Conmmon-law.

Edgehead78

Dec 11, 2013
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2014
AOR Received.
01-03-2014
File Transfer...
04-03-2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
20-01-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM 15-12-2014 Visa 23-12-2014
LANDED..........
07-01-2015
profiler said:
Actually, CIC told me that you still have to submit the Declaration of Severance of Common Law. Married or Conmmon-law.
Right, I also had to submit the document regarding my ex-girlfriend even if I was already married to my current wife at the time of application.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
I suppose, if tou never changed your CRA profile to common law, and had no kids, they may never find out. But that would amount to misrepresentation.

JoelJose83

Mar 15, 2018
I suppose, if tou never changed your CRA profile to common law, and had no kids, they may never find out. But that would amount to misrepresentation.
HI there, I am an Australian Citizen and ha sponsored my ex-defacto partner Australian PR. We are no longer together and not in touch. I got married to another lady and now we are planning to apply for Canadian PR through Express Entry. Do i need to mention about my previous partner in the section where they ask about the ex-wife or common-law union? Will they find out about this based on my Australian Passport no? Say I do declare about my ex-partner with whom I was for 3 years (we were not married, so there is no question of divorce), I provide with the Declaration of Severance of Common Law. Will the Canadian Immigration government ask for any other documents after that? If so does anyone have any idea what all they ask for?

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
HI there, I am an Australian Citizen and ha sponsored my ex-defacto partner Australian PR. We are no longer together and not in touch. I got married to another lady and now we are planning to apply for Canadian PR through Express Entry. Do i need to mention about my previous partner in the section where they ask about the ex-wife or common-law union? Will they find out about this based on my Australian Passport no? Say I do declare about my ex-partner with whom I was for 3 years (we were not married, so there is no question of divorce), I provide with the Declaration of Severance of Common Law. Will the Canadian Immigration government ask for any other documents after that? If so does anyone have any idea what all they ask for?
Hi,
If there was no children or no legal declaration (example: taxation), then I would say no. There is no legal question if you're commiting marriage fraud; and no chance of a marriage of convenience (which is ultimately why they need that).

That doesn't mean you can't submit one for completeness. But they won't be looking for every person you lived with.

JoelJose83

Mar 15, 2018
Hi,
If there was no children or no legal declaration (example: taxation), then I would say no. There is no legal question if you're committing marriage fraud; and no chance of a marriage of convenience (which is ultimately why they need that).

That doesn't mean you can't submit one for completeness. But they won't be looking for every person you lived with.
Hi,
Thank you for your response.
No there were no children conceived and regarding tax declaration - we did have a common bank account for sometime to prove for PR application.

We dated from July 2012 onwards.
On Aug 2015, she had applied for Aus PR (me acting as a sponsor)
Jan 2016 we broke up and parted our ways. Since I promised to help with her PR - I didn't withdraw the application.
Since there was nothing between us, I got married July 2016.
We are still not in contact.
Her visa was declared May 2017. Got to know from the Mara agent.
So this is the situation.
Kindly guide.

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,
Thank you for your response.
No there were no children conceived and regarding tax declaration - we did have a common bank account for sometime to prove for PR application.

We dated from July 2012 onwards.
On Aug 2015, she had applied for Aus PR (me acting as a sponsor)
Jan 2016 we broke up and parted our ways. Since I promised to help with her PR - I didn't withdraw the application.
Since there was nothing between us, I got married July 2016.
We are still not in contact.
Her visa was declared May 2017. Got to know from the Mara agent.
So this is the situation.
Kindly guide.
You are required to declare your former common-law partner, regardless of whether you had children or any other reason. If you lie about the previous relationship, I'm guessing in an effort to cover up the immigration fraud in Australia, you will be committing misrepresentation. That is also fraud and can result in refusal and a 5 year ban from Canada.