+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CSQ Requirement for natural born sponsor

psii

Feb 18, 2017
I am a US citizen currently in the process of an Inland Spousal Sponsorship in Quebec. My husband (the sponsor) is a natural born citizen of Quebec, and we both currently live together there.

Our current timeline:
Submitted: Dec 7 2022
Medical Exam: Dec 24 2022
Biometrics: Dec 28 2022
Invitation to Pre-Arrival services: Jan 13 2023
Letter to submit undertaking application to Quebec: May 29 2023

Today I received an email from my case officer saying that "Having reviewed your application, I have concerns that you may not meet the requirements for immigration to Canada".
After citing some lines of the Immigration and refugee protection act it reads,

"As your sponsor has not provided a Certificat de Sélection du Québec (CSQ) as proof that they satisfy the provincial requirements, I am not satisfied that you have a valid sponsor and are therefore not the subject of a sponsorship in effect. Your sponsor is therefore ineligible to sponsor your application for permanent residence. Accordingly, you may not meet the requirements of the Regulations."

I'm kind of confused, since the sponsorship application never asked for his CSQ, nor do I even believe that a natural born Quebec citizen even needs/is able to obtain a CSQ. Did I miss something in my application? Is it possible that the officer is incorrect/ misinformed?

ERCAN

Jan 25, 2023
I am a US citizen currently in the process of an Inland Spousal Sponsorship in Quebec. My husband (the sponsor) is a natural born citizen of Quebec, and we both currently live together there.

Our current timeline:
Submitted: Dec 7 2022
Medical Exam: Dec 24 2022
Biometrics: Dec 28 2022
Invitation to Pre-Arrival services: Jan 13 2023
Letter to submit undertaking application to Quebec: May 29 2023

Today I received an email from my case officer saying that "Having reviewed your application, I have concerns that you may not meet the requirements for immigration to Canada".
After citing some lines of the Immigration and refugee protection act it reads,

"As your sponsor has not provided a Certificat de Sélection du Québec (CSQ) as proof that they satisfy the provincial requirements, I am not satisfied that you have a valid sponsor and are therefore not the subject of a sponsorship in effect. Your sponsor is therefore ineligible to sponsor your application for permanent residence. Accordingly, you may not meet the requirements of the Regulations."

I'm kind of confused, since the sponsorship application never asked for his CSQ, nor do I even believe that a natural born Quebec citizen even needs/is able to obtain a CSQ. Did I miss something in my application? Is it possible that the officer is incorrect/ misinformed?
You did indeed missed the "Letter to submit undertaking application to Quebec: May 29 2023" - this is the request to get the CSQ. The CSQ is for you not the sponsor. But in order for you to get the CSQ, sponsor needs to get approval to sponsor from IRCC and from MIFI.

Did the sponsor submit the undertaking or you just ignored this letter?

psii

Feb 18, 2017
You did indeed missed the "Letter to submit undertaking application to Quebec: May 29 2023" - this is the request to get the CSQ. The CSQ is for you not the sponsor. But in order for you to get the CSQ, sponsor needs to get approval to sponsor from IRCC and from MIFI.

Did the sponsor submit the undertaking or you just ignored this letter?
We did submit the undertaking application about a week after we received the email.

ERCAN

Jan 25, 2023
We did submit the undertaking application about a week after we received the email.
Do you have proof that the mail was received by MIFI?
Did you receive AOR from MIFI?
Have you received anything in return?

psii

Feb 18, 2017
Do you have proof that the mail was received by MIFI?
Did you receive AOR from MIFI?
Have you received anything in return?
1: Yes we had a letter mailed on the 20th of June saying that our application was received by MIFI.
2: No.
3: We received a letter back on the 11th of July saying that we forgot to tick a box on the application, and to send the corrected document alongside the informational slip that was packaged with the notice. We mailed the corrected file out on the 12th.
After that we have received nothing.

ERCAN

Jan 25, 2023
> saying that our application was received by MIFI.
This is AOR. Good.
Do two things in parallel: first - contact IRCC immediately: send a webform, explain that you have applied for CSQ. Attach this letter as a proof. Explain that you still wait for the decision. Call IRCC to inform them that you sent a webform and explain to the agent the same thing.
Second - call MIFI and inquire information about the status of your application. The letter you've got earlier must have some reference number. Update IRCC with results.

If you would be able to get most up-to-date info from MIFI today, then do that first. But if not, send the webform to IRCC anyway. You'll update them with latest as soon as you'll get this info from MIFI.

psii

Feb 18, 2017
Thank you so much for your input and information. I'll get that webform out.
Offices are closed right now but I will call them first thing tomorrow.

Reactions: ERCAN