+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CRA review of federal foreign taxes paid

ski

Nov 20, 2013
Hello all,

I lived in Germany for 8 months in 2017. I worked for a while as a free lancer. In Germany you have to register yourself and get a tax number. Also you have to make advance payments of all VAT that you charge on your services. I reported the VAT that I paid the German govt in 2017 while filing my taxes in Canada in 2018.

I am being assessed for this now. They sent me an email, saying I need to fill Form 2125. Also, I need all information slips. Moreover, if they are not in English (and they are in German) they will need to be translated into English.

So, I have a few questions:

1. For the VAT paid, I never received any letter from the German tax office. Everything has to be done online on their e-portal called Elster. Can I download the forms I submitted showing the VAT I declared as proof of payment?
2. My final notice of assessment for 2017 in Germany was that I didn't have to pay any additional taxes besides the VAT I already paid because the total amount I made was less than the minimum. Will I need to include this also or just the forms that add up to the total tax credit that I am claiming?
3. Do I need to get all these forms translated to English? There will be 2-6 forms depending on how many are needed (2 absolutely necessary plus other general communications and assessments). The last time I translated something from German to English, the translator charged me CAD 30. Frustrating to pay 100+ CAD just on translation.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello all,

I lived in Germany for 8 months in 2017. I worked for a while as a free lancer. In Germany you have to register yourself and get a tax number. Also you have to make advance payments of all VAT that you charge on your services. I reported the VAT that I paid the German govt in 2017 while filing my taxes in Canada in 2018.

I am being assessed for this now. They sent me an email, saying I need to fill Form 2125. Also, I need all information slips. Moreover, if they are not in English (and they are in German) they will need to be translated into English.

So, I have a few questions:

1. For the VAT paid, I never received any letter from the German tax office. Everything has to be done online on their e-portal called Elster. Can I download the forms I submitted showing the VAT I declared as proof of payment?
2. My final notice of assessment for 2017 in Germany was that I didn't have to pay any additional taxes besides the VAT I already paid because the total amount I made was less than the minimum. Will I need to include this also or just the forms that add up to the total tax credit that I am claiming?
3. Do I need to get all these forms translated to English? There will be 2-6 forms depending on how many are needed (2 absolutely necessary plus other general communications and assessments). The last time I translated something from German to English, the translator charged me CAD 30. Frustrating to pay 100+ CAD just on translation.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Hi

Likely not questions you are going to get full and complete answers for on this forum. I suggest you just send everything you have. Did CRA specifically say you needed to have the documents formally translated? If not, just do it yourself.

ski

Nov 20, 2013
Thanks for the quick response. I would look for everything. The email says official translation but like you said, I could translate it myself and give it a try. If they come back to me, will have to go to a translator.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for the quick response. I would look for everything. The email says official translation but like you said, I could translate it myself and give it a try. If they come back to me, will have to go to a translator.
Email? CRA doesn't email.