+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445


Discussion in 'Visitors' started by lotus_abbey, Apr 24, 2012.

  1. My friend is arriving in Canada on June with Tourist Visa, is it possible for him to work legally in Canada if he found an employer with positive LMO and further proceed with the processing of his work permit while under Tourist Visa. Any idea how is does this work, is it necessary for him to go back to his own country even if the work permit has been processed? Please help
  2. He can't apply for a work permit from within Canada. The application has to be sent to the visa processing office for his home country. Given the passport has to be sent to this visa office too - it will likely be very difficult to apply from within Canada.
  3. Thats wrong. Of course you can apply for a work permit if you are inside Canada as a tourist. Go to CiC website, change of status. All documents can be submitted online. Once approved you get a updated Visitor Record which includes a section about your work permit. Thats all and simple to do.
  4. Sorry, Pummelchen, but scylla is correct. He cannot apply for a work permit from inside Canada if he is in Canada on a visitor visa. Here is the confirmation from the CIC website:


  5. He would have to drive back into the states and cross the border at a POE and they can flagpole the application- if he is already in Canada. Though I believe it depends on which POE. I know some of them will issue work permits on the spot but not all of them.
  6. i saw on cic site u can apply inside canada through online as long as your trv is valid and im just wonderin if youre in a work permit before and then u changed to visitors record, and want to changed again to work permit, are they going to approved the application for a work permit in canad application or i have to apply at poe?? thanks!
  7. According to the link you provided, one of the conditions is

    You have a temporary resident permit that is valid for six months or more or

    Which would qualify him to switch over his visitor status (Temporary resident permit) to Work Permit.


    He still cannot switch from Temporary Resident Visa to Work Permit. Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) is not the same thing as a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV). The TRP is given as an exception to those people who are inadmissible to Canada. See the link below:


  9. Hi All..I have Similar question.. Need help here

    I have valid work permit in Canada . Is it required for me to apply work permit to my wife in home country ? She has VISITOR with Category V1 Canada VISA.
  10. Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)is what you need to enter Canada for Countries that aren't listed under Visa Exempt category. Once you enter Canada using the TRV, an immigration officer will then stamp on your passport a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP). It should contain information such as how long you can stay in Canada (if its less than six (6) months or most of the time it doesn't show the expiration which should mean 6 months (no more than that). Unless you apply for an extension before your TRP expires (30 days before).

    So, to answer everyone's question: :'(YES YOU CAN APPLY TO CHANGE YOUR STATUS, but it depends on what situation you're at. consider things like finding a job, LMO processing etc.

    Changing your status after coming to Canada as a visitor

    When you arrive at the port of entry in Canada, a Canada Border Services Officer (BSO) will stamp your passport or travel document and record the date by which you must leave Canada. The BSO will also note any terms and conditions related to your visit. There may be times you wish to extend your visitor status or change the conditions of your visit.

    If you wish to extend your status date, you should apply 30 days before your status expires in order to do any of the following:

    extend your visitor, student or work status
    change the type of permit you hold (for example, from a student to a work permit)
    change a condition of your permit (for example, if you are studying and you want to change schools, or if you are working and your want to change jobs)

    Detailed information on how to apply to extend your stay is available on CIC’s www(dot)cic(dot)gc(dot)ca/english/visit/extend-stay(dot)asp#extend

  11. So Guys. I can change my status inside canada for a TRV to work permit if i will find a employer that have a LMO before my tourist visa will expired? I am right?thanks.
  12. yes u can but u have to apply outside canada
  13. so you mean i need to go back to my home country ? But other's say that i can apply inside canada thru online
  14. u have to send it outside canada visa office seattle or buffalo but once they ask you for interview u have to show up, hope someonewill could help u and give u more details on how this things work, i was in a visitors permit and got refused when i applied online for a work permit cause i am not eligible and they told me i should have applied outside canada
  15. Ow okay but there is a chance for me to give a w0rk permit when im in canada? I think there are s0me people get their w0rk permit eventh0ugh there inside canada. And they are Lucky ones. I hope i will be one of them.

Share This Page