+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Consequences of overstaying on visitor visa

iluvcanadax

Jan 23, 2014
My sister who is a citizen of Honduras went on a short trip to Canada to visit friends but ended up meeting a nice Canadian man. They are currently dating and the relationship is getting serious. Unfortunately, the six months on her visa are expiring soon and she has to make a decision. I believe that as a divorced woman who has finally found love, she should seriously pursue this relationship and make it work. By leaving and in case she cannot reenter, my fear is that her relationship may fall apart. I am hoping that she will marry this man, but here are some questions:

1. If she overstays her visa because she does not want to take the risk of being denied entry into Canada after traveling to her home country for a few months, what are the consequences for her being able to adjust her legal status in case she marries a Canadian citizen?

2. If she overstays her visa in Canada and her relationship does not work out, it is safe to assume that she will be denied entry into Canada in the future, but what about USA, a country she frequently visits? Can the Americans deny her entry as well (a country she has visited without any problem for more than 20 years)?

3. Can her family members like sisters and children be denied entry into Canada because she is illegally in the country or was illegal at one time? They are all Honduran citizens with valid visas?

4. What about me as a US citizen? Can I also be denied entry into Canada just because my sister is there illegally?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
She should start by applying to extend her visit. If she says that she is working on becoming common law with a Canadian and working towards submitting a permanent residency application, there's a good chance she could be granted another six months without leaving the country.

1. It's possible for her to adjust her status by having a Canadian citizen sponsor her for PR. However there's also a chance immigration could catch up with her before they get everything together and remove her from the country. So definitely some risks.

2. Canada does not impose bans for overstays, however future visas will likely be denied.

3. Unlikely they would be denied entry if they have valid visas. However it may be more difficult to obtain new visas once their old visas expire.

4. No impact.

iluvcanadax

Jan 23, 2014
Dear Scylla, thank you very much for your detailed response. I should now start to research what she needs to do in order to apply for an extension using the reason that she is in a relationship with a Canadian citizen and they plan to formalize it. Thanks again.