+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confusion over PGWP

Oct 7, 2022
Dear All,

I will complete my Master's degree in Canada on September 2024.

After the completion of my degree,i wish to apply for a PGWP.

My first question is,
Can I apply for PGWP from my home country (India) or should I apply for it in Canada only.

Let's say i get the PGWP on January 1st,2024...

My second question is,
Can i travel back to India after the PGWP is issued?..
If yes ....Then can i re-enter Canada on a PGWP or do I need a visitor visa to enter Canada?

And my third question is,
If i need a visitor visa,Can i apply for it simultaneously while my application for PGWP is in process or that visitor visa must be applied only after my PGWP is issued?

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
Dear All,

I will complete my Master's degree in Canada on September 2024.

After the completion of my degree,i wish to apply for a PGWP.

My first question is,
Can I apply for PGWP from my home country (India) or should I apply for it in Canada only.

Let's say i get the PGWP on January 1st,2024...

My second question is,
Can i travel back to India after the PGWP is issued?..
If yes ....Then can i re-enter Canada on a PGWP or do I need a visitor visa to enter Canada?

And my third question is,
If i need a visitor visa,Can i apply for it simultaneously while my application for PGWP is in process or that visitor visa must be applied only after my PGWP is issued?
1. Yes, you can apply out of Canada, but...

2. You'll need a visitor visa to come back to Canada. If your PGWP hasn't been approved, you can't work until you receive approval. You may be asked for enough funds for your stay in Canada.
2.1 If you apply from within Canada, you can work after you apply for PGWP as you are in implied status, but at the moment you leave Canada you loose implied status.

3. I believe you can apply for visitor visa while waiting for PGWP approval, but I know many people (including my own sister) that have been rejected. I waited until I got my PGWP to apply for visitor visa.

Oct 7, 2022
1. Yes, you can apply out of Canada, but...

2. You'll need a visitor visa to come back to Canada. If your PGWP hasn't been approved, you can't work until you receive approval. You may be asked for enough funds for your stay in Canada.
2.1 If you apply from within Canada, you can work after you apply for PGWP as you are in implied status, but at the moment you leave Canada you loose implied status.

3. I believe you can apply for visitor visa while waiting for PGWP approval, but I know many people (including my own sister) that have been rejected. I waited until I got my PGWP to apply for visitor visa.

Thanks a lot dear Andrew for this prompt reply. I have a few more questions now,

a) Lets say i graduate on 1st Sept 2024...and get my documents ready by 15th Sept 2024..I can apply for a PGWP.

Question 1) My student visa is still valid till 31st December 2024..Can i visit India and come back to Canada as long as my student visa is valid ?

Question 2) Is the work permit a physical copy? I think it is a piece of paper and need not be stamped on my passport .

Question 3 ) Can this physical copy be delivered to a mailing address inside Canada to a friend of mine? Can that friend of mine later send it to me in India thru FEDEX?

b) Regarding a visitor visa,

Question 1 ) What is the length of duration of a visitor visa ? is it for 1 year atleast? i have heard it is valid for upto 10 years .

Question 2 ) Can i apply for a visitor visa while being a student ?

Question 3 ) Are chances of the visitor visa being granted more when the person is in Canada when compared to the person who is outside Canada?

Question 4 ) Is this visitor visa stamped upon a passport or is it a paper copy too, like that for the work permit ?

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
I'll answer from what I know, but you may want to research a bit more.

a1
I believe that if you want to return with your student visa about to expire and you don't have a job already (even if you have a PGWP) they may not let you in. I'm not completely sure, but I've read similar cases in this forum.
a2
Yes, the work permit is a physical document that allows you to stay in Canada as long as it is valid. It is mailed to your home address once it's approved.
a3
Once approved, the work permit is mailed to the address you provide in your application as your home address. If you're not there, someone can certainly grab it for you and mail it to wherever you need it.

b1
First, they normally expire when your passport does. So if you have a PGWP for three years but your current passport expires in two, your visa will expire when your passport expires. Now, I believe that if your passport expires in 9 years but your PGWP expires in 3, they'll grant you the visa for the time on your PGWP.
b2
If you've completed your study program and applied for a PGWP, you should wait for your PGWP to be approved to apply for a new visitor visa.
b3
Not sure about this. Processing times vary from country to country.
b4
Yes, the visitor visa is stamped in your passport.