+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confusion about common law and single after the ITA

polar_bear

Mar 14, 2021
Hello everyone.

I applied for an ITA as a single, I received the ITA and I am about to complete my application. Few days ago someone from work, told me that I am in a de facto common law, and I should be careful and mindful with CIC about my status.

I searched about the term [I was oblivious about common law before applying for the ITA]. Now for me it looks like even I am not sure if I am common law or single. I feel like I have a gray area. Below are the details of my situation:

I have been living with my girlfriend for a little over 2 years [continuous cohabitation]. She is a student in Canada, and I have a full time job in valid NOC in Canada

We both have our names on the lease. But, we do not share our finances, she manages here own tuition fee and etc. Apart from cohabitation, we do not really have any proof like pictures on social media etc. We do plan to get married later in the future [not sure when], but presently, we do not want to get involved together in any official matters especially like immigration ,we are not ready to make it official yet.

Now, I want to have a full disclosure with CIC and I dnt want to misrepresent anything. I am worried that if I apply as common law now, we wont be able to provide sufficient proof that we are common law. Moreover what if I kept my status as single for now and, in future when we get married and I sponsor her for a PR, and then CIC alleges me to misrepresent my marital status as single for my current application.

My question is, should I continue with my current application as a single, or should I re-apply as a common law [non accompanying spouse] ? My points wont change in both the cases.

regards

LKhan

Feb 28, 2021
Hello everyone.

I applied for an ITA as a single, I received the ITA and I am about to complete my application. Few days ago someone from work, told me that I am in a de facto common law, and I should be careful and mindful with CIC about my status.

I searched about the term [I was oblivious about common law before applying for the ITA]. Now for me it looks like even I am not sure if I am common law or single. I feel like I have a gray area. Below are the details of my situation:

I have been living with my girlfriend for a little over 2 years [continuous cohabitation]. She is a student in Canada, and I have a full time job in valid NOC in Canada

We both have our names on the lease. But, we do not share our finances, she manages here own tuition fee and etc. Apart from cohabitation, we do not really have any proof like pictures on social media etc. We do plan to get married later in the future [not sure when], but presently, we do not want to get involved together in any official matters especially like immigration ,we are not ready to make it official yet.

Now, I want to have a full disclosure with CIC and I dnt want to misrepresent anything. I am worried that if I apply as common law now, we wont be able to provide sufficient proof that we are common law. Moreover what if I kept my status as single for now and, in future when we get married and I sponsor her for a PR, and then CIC alleges me to misrepresent my marital status as single for my current application.

My question is, should I continue with my current application as a single, or should I re-apply as a common law [non accompanying spouse] ? My points wont change in both the cases.

regards
Hi, did you get any feedback on this?