+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confused plans

AVKON

Jan 6, 2009
Hello everyone!

I am a Registered Nurse in the Philippines and I am planning to go to Canada. I currently have 12 months experience in the Operating Room and 3 months experience in the General Ward. I plan to apply for a Work Permit first since it is faster than immigration, then I plan to submit my immigration papers from within Canada.

I chose BC as my target and contacted CRNBC (crnbc.ca) to become an RN in BC. I have submitted my papers, taken my IELTS, and paid my fees and yesterday, I received a note saying that for CRNBC to continue assessing my application, I must take a SEC assessment test (nursinginbc.ca).

Now this is where it gets confusing. I must take my SEC at Kwantlen University in Surrey, BC. The assessment takes 5 days and the results are released in 3-8 weeks. After this, CRNBC will decide if it will grant me eligibility to take/write the CRNE, or if I need to do some coursework. If CRNBC decides I am eligible to write the CRNE, I will need to find an employer who will hire me on Interim Permit and give me 350 hours work experience as a requirement to write the CRNE.

So, can I go to Canada on a Work Permit? AFAIK, I need an employer's job offer for this one, and no hospital will hire me without CRNBC saying I am eligible to write the CRNE.

Can I go to Canada on a Student Permit? I'm not even sure if I'd be needing to do coursework or not, what I'm only sure of is that I need to take that SEC assessment.

Can I go to Canada on a Tourist Visa? Probably.

I would like to go to Canada to take my SEC, then wait out the results up until I can write the CRNE and become an RN in BC. To do this, I would need to support myself for my stay in BC as well as have extra money to be able to buy books and maybe take refresher courses. For this, I would need to be able to legally work in Canada, in whatever sector, healthcare or not.

Can anyone straighten me out here?

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Vancouver British Columbia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
AVKON said:
Hello everyone!

I am a Registered Nurse in the Philippines and I am planning to go to Canada. I currently have 12 months experience in the Operating Room and 3 months experience in the General Ward. I plan to apply for a Work Permit first since it is faster than immigration, then I plan to submit my immigration papers from within Canada.

I chose BC as my target and contacted CRNBC (crnbc.ca) to become an RN in BC. I have submitted my papers, taken my IELTS, and paid my fees and yesterday, I received a note saying that for CRNBC to continue assessing my application, I must take a SEC assessment test (nursinginbc.ca).

Now this is where it gets confusing. I must take my SEC at Kwantlen University in Surrey, BC. The assessment takes 5 days and the results are released in 3-8 weeks. After this, CRNBC will decide if it will grant me eligibility to take/write the CRNE, or if I need to do some coursework. If CRNBC decides I am eligible to write the CRNE, I will need to find an employer who will hire me on Interim Permit and give me 350 hours work experience as a requirement to write the CRNE.

So, can I go to Canada on a Work Permit? AFAIK, I need an employer's job offer for this one, and no hospital will hire me without CRNBC saying I am eligible to write the CRNE.NO,you dont qualify to work

Can I go to Canada on a Student Permit? I'm not even sure if I'd be needing to do coursework or not, what I'm only sure of is that I need to take that SEC assessment.NO,you are only taking an exam

Can I go to Canada on a Tourist Visa? Probably.
YES

I would like to go to Canada to take my SEC, then wait out the results up until I can write the CRNE and become an RN in BC. To do this, I would need to support myself for my stay in BC as well as have extra money to be able to buy books and maybe take refresher courses. For this, I would need to be able to legally work in Canada, in whatever sector, healthcare or not.

Can anyone straighten me out here?
There is a Filipino Foundation helping Filipina Nurses Immigrate to BC as well as a Private Sector Company Future search,Any reason you dont want them to help you?????www.ugnayanfoundation.com or www.futuresearchcanada.com

AVKON

Jan 6, 2009
Thank you for the links. I did not know these organizations existed.

You say that I can go to Canada on a Tourist Visa... am I allowed to work in Canada when I have a Tourist Visa?

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
AVKON said:
Thank you for the links. I did not know these organizations existed.

You say that I can go to Canada on a Tourist Visa... am I allowed to work in Canada when I have a Tourist Visa?
No,But you can take the exam as a tourist then look for an employer as a tourist then apply OUTSIDE Canada for Work permit or PNP inside Canada

AVKON

Jan 6, 2009
Haha... I guess that's another way of looking at it. Let me see if I get it straight:

Go to Canada as Tourist
Find an employer while in Canada
File for Work Permit/PNP while in Canada
Work in Canada while waiting for Kwantlen U. and CRNBC gets their stuff together
Take the necessary exams
Work as an RN in Canada
Is that right? What I really want is to NOT GO HOME TO THE PHILIPPINES anymore when I go to BC for my SEC assessment. It's not that I don't love my country, it's just that I cannot afford the airfare to be going back and forth to Canada and the Philippines.

Please note that I plan to go to Canada via Work Permit because I believe it is faster, but the bottom line here is to get to Canada, bring my family with me later on (wife, 2kids), and become permanent residents of BC. So like I said, the plan was to do a Work Permit, then file my immigration papers from within Canada. However, I know that BC has a PNP program which is kinda like a WP and immigration in one package. I know that the PNP program is employer-driven, but right now, I'm concerned that no employer will sponsor me since I'm not yet "eligible to write the CRNE" as assessed by CRNBC. I had hoped that I can go to Canada as a temporary worker (work visa by applying to the embassy with a job offer/contract as a supporting document) but apparently this will not be possible.

BTW, thanks again for the links, I emailed both groups and am awaiting their reply.

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
I discussed your case with Zeala,They can always find yo0u work as a RCA while you are not yet licensed as a nurse,this is what some are doing

AVKON

Jan 6, 2009
That's what they call stay-in/in-house care-giver yes?

No problem with me, any work (legal) is fine.

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
AVKON said:
That's what they call stay-in/in-house care-giver yes?

No problem with me, any work (legal) is fine.
No Caregivers or Nannies earn half between 8-9$ an hour,Care Aides work in Senior Care Centers,Hospitals etc,Nannies work in homes

AVKON

Jan 6, 2009
Thanks for that info, BCguy. Are RCAs a different job-title entirely, or are they just "live-in caregivers" who happen to be working in centers/hospitals instead of homes? Can you give me a NOC number or title?

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
NOC 3413 and RCA s are not stay in live in care givers,Are you really determined to be a Nanny???????In that case I cant help you,because I feel nurses wanting to work as Nannies is a waste.I talked to Zeala last night and She hasnt heard from you yet.Make up your mind Do you want be a nurse or a Nanny?????

yop

Nov 23, 2011
I was reading the posts in here,

PLEASE HELP

I'm a registered nurse from philippines and I'm struggling on how to apply for CRNE even if I'm staying here in phil. I don't know where to start, what to do and all the requirements needed. I'm planning to take the june 2012 examination. PLEASE can someone tell me their personal experience on how they applied for this or anyone who really knows or know someone that processed this as well that might help me to do the necessary actions. THANKYOU. I'm looking forward for replies, really need this. THANKYOU!

replies are much appreciated :)