+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Conditions on my wife's PR and current situation

chs2yyc

Star Member
Apr 24, 2012
My wife is a PR, with the condition on her passport of the 2 year conjugal relationship

She left me and moved within the city

I still wanna work it out

How long of a separation is allowable before this effects the PR ?

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chs2yyc said:
My wife is a PR, with the condition on her passport of the 2 year conjugal relationship

I dont think there is timing for that but remember you signed a sponsorship agreement so if she ends up asking for money from the gov then you will have to pay them back, unless you report her, I think.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
chs2yyc said:

Basically it's up to you to report the break in cohabitation to CIC. At that time they would investigate your partner and possibly revoke her PR status and send her home.

If you never report the breakdown, there's a good chance CIC will not ever be aware of it and she may just go on to get regular PR after 2 years. Or they could find out on their own, nobody can say for sure.

Remember that for the first 3 years after she lands, you are responsible to pay back the government any welfare/social assistance money she applies for and gets.

chs2yyc

Star Member
Apr 24, 2012
How does the social assistance work?

I pay for a home for us, a vehicle for her, I insure it, pay for her phone, food, and other expenses, and she had medical and dental benefits through my via my employer.

Can she just leave and go get social assistance even though I am willing to provide?

I can only afford so much, I am afraid she will force me to pay her rent.

She can work and 100% able, is that a factor?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
chs2yyc said:

I pay for a home for us, a vehicle for her, I insure it, pay for her phone, food, and other expenses, and she had medical and dental benefits through my via my employer.

Can she just leave and go get social assistance even though I am willing to provide?

Doesn't matter what you are providing for her, if she applies for welfare as someone being unable to get a job, she may get it and you would need to pay the government back everything.

You should remind her that you as her sponsor simply need to inform CIC that your relationship has broken down anytime during the first 2 years of her being a conditional PR, and most likely they will revoke her PR status and she'll need to go back to her home country.

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chs2yyc said:

You dont have to pay for any of her expenses. You take back your car, stop paying for her insurance, and cancel her medical coverage. If she can survive on her own so be it. If not, she will turn back to the government and they will give her some money (I doubt it would be much at all), which you will have to pay back if you dont want to end your marriage. But the thing is they would be wondering why she is turning to them for money when she has you, so they may report her anyway. You should advice her that you will be reporting your separation to immigration and that she most likely has to leave the country. Thats if you wanna cover your A$$. If you do report her, you wont be responsible for any expenses.