+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Complicated work experience case for PR

Aghapapa

May 17, 2017
Hi everyone,

I have graduated from York university in Toronto in 2013 from an undergrad program (economy). I obtained my post grad work permit in 2013 which was expired in 2016. During this time, my plans changed so I moved to Vancouver, obtained a study permit and I was enrolled in a master's degree in education in 2014 and I am still a student in this program. I have been working off campus from 2014 until present (it's a part-time job, and I am a full time student). The amount of hours that I have worked when I had work permit is 1260 hours (300 hours below the minimum requirement of 1560 hours to be eligible for CEC or skilled worker class). I have been working at the same job after my work permit was expired but under my study permit (which allows 20 hours/week).

So in reality, I have worked more than 1560 hours, but because my work permit was expired, only 1260 hours can be counted for skilled worker program-Express Entry. is that right? CIC website says that any work experience that you have done while a full-time student does not count towards work experience, but I had both work permits and a study permit at the same time. Does it apply to me? or my 1260 hours still count?

Which stream should I apply in order to get permanent residency? What are my options?

PS: I can not apply for PNP international post-graduate, since my program is not eligible. What about International Graduate? Is PNP an option? Or is there a way for direct federal application?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi everyone,

I have graduated from York university in Toronto in 2013 from an undergrad program (economy). I obtained my post grad work permit in 2013 which was expired in 2016. During this time, my plans changed so I moved to Vancouver, obtained a study permit and I was enrolled in a master's degree in education in 2014 and I am still a student in this program. I have been working off campus from 2014 until present (it's a part-time job, and I am a full time student). The amount of hours that I have worked when I had work permit is 1260 hours (300 hours below the minimum requirement of 1560 hours to be eligible for CEC or skilled worker class). I have been working at the same job after my work permit was expired but under my study permit (which allows 20 hours/week).

For the purpose of express entry, no work experience gained while a student in Canada can be counted.

Regardless of when your PGWP expired, the second you became a student again, your experience became invalid. You did not state how many weeks/hours you worked before you became a graduate student, but it sounds like you started both the job and the graduate program at the same time, so my guess is that you don't have any eligible experience (or at least, not enough to be eligible).

IRCC has all its programs and eligibility requirements online. It sounds like you would benefit from studying that a bit more.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/express-entry/