+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Co-op as academic year

chk

May 4, 2019
I know that co-op work is not taken into account as a work experience.
But does it count towards education ?

Let's say you had finished 2 year diploma college program (4 semesters) + 1 year of optional co-op work (2 terms).
These work terms are mentioned in transcript, however as I mentioned they are optional.
If you follow the link below, it says : "Co-op terms and apprenticeships completed before graduating do not count as skilled work experience. They are considered part of an educational program."

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=394&top=29

Yet, the program is considered 2-year according to the website of the college.

The question is whether I can claim it as a 2-year or 3-year program ?

I would appreciate if anyone can help me with that.

Thank you and best regards !

chk

May 4, 2019
2 years. Optional coop is not a part of your academic years.
That's what I thought.
Do you know this for sure ? Would it be better to ask CIC directly about this ?
It's hard to acknowledge that year is useless from an immigration point of view and was just a waste of time.

jaffaral

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2014
Category........
Other
That's what I thought.
Do you know this for sure ? Would it be better to ask CIC directly about this ?
It's hard to acknowledge that year is useless from an immigration point of view and was just a waste of time.
Cic assigns point based upon typical length of the program. U can finish your 2 years program in 4 years but u will receive points only for 2 years.
For a purpose of EE u need to have minimum 8 months (fall and winter) of studying in Canada to get 30 points for FSW u need to have 2 academic years (fall and winter plus another fall and another winter ) to receive 5 points for Canadian education

chk

May 4, 2019
Cic assigns point based upon typical length of the program. U can finish your 2 years program in 4 years but u will receive points only for 2 years.
For a purpose of EE u need to have minimum 8 months (fall and winter) of studying in Canada to get 30 points for FSW u need to have 2 academic years (fall and winter plus another fall and another winter ) to receive 5 points for Canadian education
Ok, thanks.
I can still get extra points after having evaluated my bachelor's degree. It's just going to take a couple months before I get it.
Best of luck !

Reactions: jaffaral