+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Clarification on Passport Request Letter

mfkoko321

Star Member
Jul 23, 2017
Greetings all,

First I would like to thank everyone here who helped me during the last 3 years almost, I finally got the Passport request letter.

First question I have about sending the passport, the letter says:

"If you require a visa to enter Canada, then submit your passport(s): "

"If you do not require a visa to enter Canada:

 Please submit one photocopy of the photo page and any pages containing amendments of the valid passport for you and one for each accompanying family member."

I already have a TRV which is still valid do you think I should send my passport ? also a new option available for me to upload passport document Only (Highlighting "only " this is related to the second question.

Second question: On the letter it says Fill appendix A and send it a long with the passport:
"
You must submit together:

1. One copy of this letter, including the Updated Information Chart in Appendix A.
Note: Visa exempt applicants using MyCIC are not required to submit a physical copy –please upload this information to your MyCIC account.

If I am not sending the passport then I cant upload appendix A ?

Third and last question, Appendix A is:

Updated Information Chart
it asking to fill information about Principle applicant, spouse or partner and Childs; I do have a wife and a daughter however, they are not accompanying me to Canada ( They are Canadian ) do I need to fill there info there..?

I am thinking to Upload the documents online, send the passport via VFS Center and fill all the info about my family regardless wither they are accompanying me or no.. what do you think guys :)

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Greetings all,

First I would like to thank everyone here who helped me during the last 3 years almost, I finally got the Passport request letter.

First question I have about sending the passport, the letter says:

"If you require a visa to enter Canada, then submit your passport(s): "

"If you do not require a visa to enter Canada:

 Please submit one photocopy of the photo page and any pages containing amendments of the valid passport for you and one for each accompanying family member."

I already have a TRV which is still valid do you think I should send my passport ? also a new option available for me to upload passport document Only (Highlighting "only " this is related to the second question.

Second question: On the letter it says Fill appendix A and send it a long with the passport:
"
You must submit together:

1. One copy of this letter, including the Updated Information Chart in Appendix A.
Note: Visa exempt applicants using MyCIC are not required to submit a physical copy –please upload this information to your MyCIC account.

If I am not sending the passport then I cant upload appendix A ?

Third and last question, Appendix A is:

Updated Information Chart
it asking to fill information about Principle applicant, spouse or partner and Childs; I do have a wife and a daughter however, they are not accompanying me to Canada ( They are Canadian ) do I need to fill there info there..?

I am thinking to Upload the documents online, send the passport via VFS Center and fill all the info about my family regardless wither they are accompanying me or no.. what do you think guys :)

So what country / nationality are you? If you need a visa for Canada, then you MUST send your original passport in, any existing visas are irrelevant. They need you passport to fix the new PR visa into.

mfkoko321

Star Member
Jul 23, 2017
So what country / nationality are you? If you need a visa for Canada, then you MUST send your original passport in, any existing visas are irrelevant. They need you passport to fix the new PR visa into.
Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. County Qatar Nationality Iraq. This is the thing I dont need a Visa cuz I already have one. What I understood from the letter when I send my passport I will get PR documents and a Visa to enter Canada (of course the reason of Visa is PR), moreover, I have been asked to upload a copy of my passport online (+ the Passport request).

I am not sure what I have wrote makes sense I could be getting it wrong. Thats why I am here to discuss with you guys.

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. County Qatar Nationality Iraq. This is the thing I dont need a Visa cuz I already have one. What I understood from the letter when I send my passport I will get PR documents and a Visa to enter Canada (of course the reason of Visa is PR), moreover, I have been asked to upload a copy of my passport online (+ the Passport request).

I am not sure what I have wrote makes sense I could be getting it wrong. Thats why I am here to discuss with you guys.
No.

You DO need this particular visa in your passport, existing visa's are irrelevant (as I said in my original response).

You are from a 'visa-required country for Canada, so you MUST send your original passport in. The 'copy passport ONLY applies if you are from a visa-exempt country, which you are not).

They will affix the necessary PR Visa AND send you a Confirmation of Permanent Resident form (and a copy) and return these to you. You then need to enter Canada BEFORE the expiry date on the CoPR and declare PR. To do this you must present both your passport and both original and copy CoPR.

Reactions: mfkoko321

mfkoko321

Star Member
Jul 23, 2017
No.

You DO need this particular visa in your passport, existing visa's are irrelevant (as I said in my original response).

You are from a 'visa-required country for Canada, so you MUST send your original passport in. The 'copy passport ONLY applies if you are from a visa-exempt country, which you are not).

They will affix the necessary PR Visa AND send you a Confirmation of Permanent Resident form (and a copy) and return these to you. You then need to enter Canada BEFORE the expiry date on the CoPR and declare PR. To do this you must present both your passport and both original and copy CoPR.
Thanks a lot :)

Minion4eva

Apr 27, 2019
Hello,

On my letter it also says to upload the copies Of the passport but my passport expires in two months and I applied for a new one. However the time to provide that was given one week which already passed. Now, I am not sure what should I do. I am in the US so does that mean I would also send need to send my passport?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Your passport request time has already expired and you haven't uploaded the copy?

Have you tried to contact IRCC and tell them what's going on? You don't want your application refused for noncompliance.

Minion4eva

Apr 27, 2019
Your passport request time has already expired and you haven't uploaded the copy? I am going to contact them via web form too just so I can upload my new passport.

Have you tried to contact IRCC and tell them what's going on? You don't want your application refused for noncompliance.
I read on their website that I can contact them in 2 ways, 1. via web form or 2. uploading a letter of explanation in the document upload filed in my profile. So that is what I did. I have pasted the information.

------------
Update your application
If we need more information to process your application, we’ll contact you by mail, email or through your account.

If you have a question about our request, you can:

• send us your question through our Web form, or
  • ask your question through your online account (if you have one). Upload a document with your question in place of the document we asked for
Make sure you keep your contact information updated. This way, we can contact you if we need to.

--------‐

Just to give you more information, the letter said the document must be received by the office 4.19 otherwise a decision will be assessed based on the document they have on file which is my old passport with 2 months validation.

Last edited:

av2020

Feb 5, 2020
Hi,
I have sponsored my wife who is living in a visa-exempt country even though she's a citizen of a visa-required country. Recently she received from IRCC in her country, what looks like the passport request letter. In that letter they have started by saying "...we are ready to issue your permanent resident visa.." but on next page they've given instructions for only visa-exempt countries (which asks for photos, copies of passport yada yada, but not the original passport). My initial thought was that the IRCC there made a mistake by sending her wrong instructions. Therefore I called CPC in Canada twice.

First person said since she needs a visa send the passport.

Second person said we should only send what's asked in the letter since passport is an important document (which is true).

Now we're confused about whether this was a genuine mistake on their part, or this is the standard operating procedure for family class sponsorship; where they ask for passport copies first and then ask for original passport once processing is done?

ankz001

Sep 21, 2017
Hi,
I have sponsored my wife who is living in a visa-exempt country even though she's a citizen of a visa-required country. Recently she received from IRCC in her country, what looks like the passport request letter. In that letter they have started by saying "...we are ready to issue your permanent resident visa.." but on next page they've given instructions for only visa-exempt countries (which asks for photos, copies of passport yada yada, but not the original passport). My initial thought was that the IRCC there made a mistake by sending her wrong instructions. Therefore I called CPC in Canada twice.

First person said since she needs a visa send the passport.

Second person said we should only send what's asked in the letter since passport is an important document (which is true).

Now we're confused about whether this was a genuine mistake on their part, or this is the standard operating procedure for family class sponsorship; where they ask for passport copies first and then ask for original passport once processing is done?
It does not depend on where she is living right now. It depends on what country's passport she is holding. If it is visa exempt country then a copy is required to be sent. If it is a visa required country, then original passport needs to be sent.

av2020

Feb 5, 2020
It does not depend on where she is living right now. It depends on what country's passport she is holding. If it is visa exempt country then a copy is required to be sent. If it is a visa required country, then original passport needs to be sent.
If that's the case, it means they made some mistake which caused the system to generate the wrong instructions. The assumption here is that they had to check some boxes to generate this letter and they checked the wrong ones (?)

Now we have two options:
1) Send the passport now: We will have to do this any way but since they have not specifically asked for it, we don't know if there's a risk involved. I.e. they've to operate under certain guidelines and I don't know what they do with the documents we send them that they have not asked for. I.e. will they hold the passport till visa is issued and send it back, or do they have to lock it up and we need to go get it? This is the risk that we're sending important document not asked for, so it's our responsibility entirely.

2) Send only the passport copies as asked: If this is the PPR letter and they made a mistake but we still send only what's asked for, will it force them to send a second PPR letter (do they?), asking for original passport and correct instructions, or will they sit on it for 28 days and then we'll be forced to make a choice?

av2020

Feb 5, 2020
So my wife got the new PPR letter. She raised a webform request and they sent her a new one within 3 days. I'm glad we didn't send the passport to the IRCC office at the Canadian embassy, because you're not supposed to send original passport there. For PR visa etc in her country of residence, passports have to go through VAC (in this case, VFS). This new letter was incredibly detailed and clear.